Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
Russian
Home Country
Russian Federation
Current Location
Russian Federation
Below is an extract from a student's account of his daily routine. Is his language natural (would a native speaker of English use such language?)? Does the phrase I had a free this lesson sound natural, too?

(I have taken it from here:
http://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/wiki/A_day_in_the_life_of_a_college_student

Are the texts produced by native speakers, by the way?)

First Lesson I had Psychology which is 9-10.30, the longest lesson of the day- we just worked on our assignment that's in in a couple of weeks, was alright. Second lesson 10.45-11.45- I had a free this lesson, from 10.45-11.30 I went to the library and did my sociology homework that is in tommorow so I didnt have to do it tonight, good times.

Barb_D

Staff member
Member Type
Other
Native Language
American English
Home Country
United States
Current Location
United States
Below is an extract from a student's account of his daily routine. Is his language natural (would a native speaker of English use such language?)? Does the phrase I had a free this lesson sound natural, too?

(I have taken it from here:
http://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/wiki/A_day_in_the_life_of_a_college_student

Are the texts produced by native speakers, by the way?)

First Lesson I had Psychology which is 9-10.30, the longest lesson of the day- we just worked on our assignment that's in in a couple of weeks, was alright. Second lesson 10.45-11.45- I had a free this lesson, from 10.45-11.30 I went to the library and did my sociology homework that is in tommorow so I didnt have to do it tonight, good times.

In the U.S., we refer to "periods" instead of lessons.
Assignments are "due" not "in."
So I'm going to rewrite it the way an American teen would.

First period, I had Psychology from 9-10:30. It's the longest period of the day. We just worked on our assignment that's due in a couple weeks. It was all right. Second period was 10:45-11:45. I have a study hall then so from 10:45 to 11:30 I went to the library and did the Sociology homework that's due tomorrow so I don't have to do it tonight. Good times.

englishhobby

Key Member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
Russian
Home Country
Russian Federation
Current Location
Russian Federation
In the U.S., we refer to "periods" instead of lessons.
Assignments are "due" not "in."
So I'm going to rewrite it the way an American teen would.

First period, I had Psychology from 9-10:30. It's the longest period of the day. We just worked on our assignment that's due in a couple weeks. It was all right. Second period was 10:45-11:45. I have a study hall then so from 10:45 to 11:30 I went to the library and did the Sociology homework that's due tomorrow so I don't have to do it tonight. Good times.

Does a study hall mean a free period between classes?

Barb_D

Staff member
Member Type
Other
Native Language
American English
Home Country
United States
Current Location
United States
No, it's a regularly scheduled period when no class is scheduled. It's not "between" classes because it's a regular class period for other people.

Tarheel

VIP Member
Member Type
Interested in Language
Native Language
American English
Home Country
United States
Current Location
United States
And you are expected to study (presumably working on your class assignments), which is, of course, why they call it study hall.

Tarheel

VIP Member
Member Type
Interested in Language
Native Language
American English
Home Country
United States
Current Location
United States
Study hall is only for students. There is nothing similar for teachers.

emsr2d2

Staff member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
British English
Home Country
UK
Current Location
UK
Teachers don't have any free time. Everyone knows that. Well, all teachers know that! ;-)

Tdol

No Longer With Us (RIP)
Staff member
Native Language
British English
Home Country
UK
Current Location
Japan
It might sound odd, but it makes sense- the person had a free slot/lesson/period at this time.

Skrej

VIP Member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
English
Home Country
United States
Current Location
United States
Here in the US we'd call those non-teaching periods 'prep periods' or 'prep time'. Those might be combined with what are referred to as 'office hours', which are time slots teachers are available for questions or discussions.

Status
Not open for further replies.