Student or Learner
Native Language
Arabic
Home Country
Tunisia
Current Location
Tunisia
Dear teachers,

Would you please tell me in what circumstances we can use a singular or a plural form of the verb with collective nouns?
In a similar article, I found two different agreements for the same type of sentence. Would you please tell me why?

"The Oklahoma City jury charged with deciding Holtzclaw's fate have not yet reached a decision as of 5:27 p.m. on Wednesday."

and

"Rally co-organizer Candace Liger said she isn’t surprised the jury has not yet reached a decision."

Best regards

GoesStation

No Longer With Us (RIP)
Member Type
Interested in Language
Native Language
American English
Home Country
United States
Current Location
United States
In American English "the jury" is singular. I think BrE is a little flexible in this attribution but generally favors the plural. In your text, perhaps the reporter has recast a quote into reported speech; if Ms. Liger said "I'm not surprised the jury hasn't reached a decision," the (presumably British) reporter may have inadvertently retained the singular.

MikeNewYork

VIP Member
Member Type
Academic
Native Language
American English
Home Country
United States
Current Location
United States
The verb number is these cases largely depends on how the speaker/writer views the collective noun. If the collective is seen as a unit, the verb will usually be singular. If the collective is seen as a individuals, the verb will usually be plural. Plural verbs with collectives is far more common in BrE than in AmE.

Status
Not open for further replies.