Student or Learner
    • Member Info
      • Native Language:
      • Polish
      • Home Country:
      • Poland
      • Current Location:
      • Portugal

Question What do you think of native-speaking teachers?

Hello!
    I am writing a survey about native- speaking teachers, their advantages and disadvantages compared to non-native speaking teachers, methods of their teaching etc.
    I am very curious what people think of them. What is your opinion of native- speaking teacher? Do you think they are better, if so why? Do you have any experience with such teachers? How would you compare native- speaking teacher with non-native?
    I would be VERY grateful if you could think of anything that comes to your minds about this subject.
    Thanks a lot

• Member Info
      • Native Language:
      • British English
      • Home Country:
      • England
      • Current Location:
      • Ireland

Re: What do you think of native-speaking teachers?

Please correct the information in your profile.
    “Every miserable fool who has nothing at all of which he can be proud, adopts as a last resource pride in the nation to which he belongs; he is ready and happy to defend all its faults and follies tooth and nail, thus reimbursing himself for his own inferiority.”

— Arthur Schopenhauer

• Member Info
      • Native Language:
      • Russian
      • Home Country:
      • Russian Federation
      • Current Location:
      • Russian Federation

Quote Originally Posted by Nattt View Post
    Hello!
    I am writing a survey about native- speaking teachers, their advantages and disadvantages compared to non-native speaking teachers, methods of their teaching etc.
    I am very curious what people think of them. What is your opinion of native- speaking teacher? Do you think they are better, if so why? Do you have any experience with such teachers? How would you compare native- speaking teacher with non-native?
    I would be VERY grateful if you could think of anything that comes to your minds about this subject.
    Thanks a lot
    Look, I think that native speakers are the best option for any student as they can explain concepts of words, which is to my mind a lot more important than to give a translation. Yet, it might be difficult for beginners to feel comfortable with a native speaker so in my opinion at beginner levels there must be a non-native speaking teacher to inspire them to study English no matter what. Or maybe there should be both teachers. I mean, let's say there are two teachers for a group and they work together but not during the same lesson, but taking turns. e.g. Native speaker takes lessons 1,3,5 and non-native 2,4,6. I used to be a part of such an experiment an it was pretty nice)

• Member Info
      • Native Language:
      • British English
      • Home Country:
      • UK
      • Current Location:
      • Laos

I depends on the individual- an ignorant native teacher may make few mistakes, but may not know how to explain things. I do not think that they are automatically better. However, there are also plenty of non-native teachers who are far from expert. Expertise, knowledge and ability in the classroom matter more than first language IMO.

• Member Info
      • Native Language:
      • British English
      • Home Country:
      • England
      • Current Location:
      • Ireland

My wife is French and when we were teaching English together in France, the beginners often preferred her because they could understand her French accented English better than my English English. More experienced learners preferred my "authentic" accent.
    “Every miserable fool who has nothing at all of which he can be proud, adopts as a last resource pride in the nation to which he belongs; he is ready and happy to defend all its faults and follies tooth and nail, thus reimbursing himself for his own inferiority.”

— Arthur Schopenhauer