Results 1 to 9 of 9
  1. Andy Lin's Avatar
    • Member Info
      • Native Language:
      • Chinese
      • Home Country:
      • Taiwan
      • Current Location:
      • Taiwan

    • Join Date: Mar 2015
    • Posts: 33
    #1

    GEPT question

    Hi, everyone.
    I am been preparing the GEPT test, and I got some question.


    1. Analysts predict that oil prices will keep soaring in the foreseeable future. "Sadly, hardly ______ can be done to change the situation".

    (A) nothing (B) something (C) everything (D) anything

    The answer is D, because hardly needs to followed by any. I want to ask why can't choose C.


    2. Without the devotion and cooperation of this great team, I can tell you for sure that the project would never ______ completed last week.

    (A) be (B) have been (C) been (D) had been

    The answer is B, but why can't choose D ? I see the "last week" and choose D directly.


    3. While ______ foods are assuming an ever larger role in the average diet, more and more people are getting interested in organic food.

    (A) process (B) processed (C) processing (D) to process

    The answer is B, because the blank needs to be adjective. but isn't C the adjective, too? Why can't choose C.

  2. MikeNewYork's Avatar
    • Member Info
      • Native Language:
      • American English
      • Home Country:
      • United States
      • Current Location:
      • United States

    • Join Date: Nov 2002
    • Posts: 24,983
    #2

    Re: GEPT question

    1. "Hardly" does not work with everything.

    2. The past perfect does not work there.

    3. "Processing" is an ongoing process. It doesn't fit in that sentence.

  3. Matthew Wai's Avatar
    • Member Info
      • Native Language:
      • Chinese
      • Home Country:
      • China
      • Current Location:
      • Hong Kong

    • Join Date: Nov 2013
    • Posts: 7,799
    #3

    Re: GEPT question

    1. 'Hardly everything' does not work even if it is literally translated into the OP's native language.

    2. A bare infinitive must be used after a modal verb such as 'would'.

    3. If 'processing' functioned as an adjective in 'processing foods', I would take it to mean 'foods that are processing something', which does not make sense.
    I am not a teacher.

  4. Andy Lin's Avatar
    • Member Info
      • Native Language:
      • Chinese
      • Home Country:
      • Taiwan
      • Current Location:
      • Taiwan

    • Join Date: Mar 2015
    • Posts: 33
    #4

    Re: GEPT question

    Quote Originally Posted by Matthew Wai View Post
    1. 'Hardly everything' does not work even if it is literally translated into the OP's native language.

    2. A bare infinitive must be used after a modal verb such as 'would'.

    3. If 'processing' functioned as an adjective in 'processing foods', I would take it to mean 'foods that are processing something', which does not make sense.
    Quote Originally Posted by MikeNewYork View Post
    1. "Hardly" does not work with everything.

    2. The past perfect does not work there.

    3. "Processing" is an ongoing process. It doesn't fit in that sentence.
    1. So the hardly+anything is a convention, right? even hardly everything is literally the same.
    2. From Wai, thanks, I now know that would must + bare infinitive.
    3. From Mike, I probably know what you say, thanks.
    From Wai, I don't exactly know what "foods that are processing something" means.
    Last edited by Andy Lin; 15-Jan-2016 at 08:49.

  5. Piscean's Avatar
    • Member Info
      • Native Language:
      • British English
      • Home Country:
      • Czech Republic
      • Current Location:
      • Czech Republic

    • Join Date: Jul 2015
    • Posts: 9,938
    #5

    Re: GEPT question

    Quote Originally Posted by Andy Lin View Post
    1. So the hardly+anything is a convention, right? even hardly everything is literally the same.
    No. 'Hardly anything' means 'almost nothing'. 'Hardly everything' would me mean 'almost not everything' which is meaningless.
    From Wai, I don't exactly know what "foods that are processing something" means.
    It doesn't make sense, which is what Matthew said.

  6. Matthew Wai's Avatar
    • Member Info
      • Native Language:
      • Chinese
      • Home Country:
      • China
      • Current Location:
      • Hong Kong

    • Join Date: Nov 2013
    • Posts: 7,799
    #6

    Re: GEPT question

    A processing plant is a plant that is processing something, which makes sense.
    Processing foods are foods that are processing something, which doesn't make sense.

    'Hardly anything' means “幾乎沒有任何東西”, which makes sense.
    'Hardly everything' means “幾乎沒有每種東西”, which doesn't make sense.
    I am not a teacher.

  7. Andy Lin's Avatar
    • Member Info
      • Native Language:
      • Chinese
      • Home Country:
      • Taiwan
      • Current Location:
      • Taiwan

    • Join Date: Mar 2015
    • Posts: 33
    #7

    Re: GEPT question

    Quote Originally Posted by Piscean View Post
    No. 'Hardly anything' means 'almost nothing'. 'Hardly everything' would me mean 'almost not everything' which is meaningless.It doesn't make sense, which is what Matthew said.
    Quote Originally Posted by Matthew Wai View Post
    A processing plant is a plant that is processing something, which makes sense.
    Processing foods are foods that are processing something, which doesn't make sense.

    'Hardly anything' means “幾乎沒有任何東西”, which makes sense.
    'Hardly everything' means “幾乎沒有每種東西”, which doesn't make sense.
    Thank to two teachers, I understand already.

  8. Matthew Wai's Avatar
    • Member Info
      • Native Language:
      • Chinese
      • Home Country:
      • China
      • Current Location:
      • Hong Kong

    • Join Date: Nov 2013
    • Posts: 7,799
    #8

    Re: GEPT question

    Please note that I am NOT a teacher.
    I am not a teacher.

  9. Andy Lin's Avatar
    • Member Info
      • Native Language:
      • Chinese
      • Home Country:
      • Taiwan
      • Current Location:
      • Taiwan

    • Join Date: Mar 2015
    • Posts: 33
    #9

    Re: GEPT question

    OK!

Similar Threads

  1. [Grammar] Raise the question & Prompt the question
    By shwm in forum Ask a Teacher
    Replies: 2
    Last Post: 19-Jul-2015, 16:30
  2. [Grammar] Let them stay here, WILL YOU?/ WILL THEY? (question on question tag)
    By Sahil Dhankhar in forum Ask a Teacher
    Replies: 5
    Last Post: 22-May-2015, 23:42
  3. [Essay] Polite request/question of address - Not follow by question mark?
    By Nel Doozy in forum Ask a Teacher
    Replies: 2
    Last Post: 21-Apr-2013, 01:21
  4. ESL tense question- Timing question
    By ironman2008 in forum Ask a Teacher
    Replies: 3
    Last Post: 19-May-2012, 14:35
  5. Replies: 5
    Last Post: 20-Sep-2011, 09:04

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •