guzhao67

Member Type
Native Language
French
Home Country
France
Current Location
China
Hi there, Is there any fixed expression to say "basketball played in schools"? I guess it may be one of the followings: school basketball, campus basketball, basketball on-campus, I searched web, using them as keywords, but I'm still not sure which one of them is more common used in everyday conversation, and which one is used in formal context. Could you please help me?
Thank you
Regards
Guzhao67

MikeNewYork

VIP Member
Member Type
Academic
Native Language
American English
Home Country
United States
Current Location
United States
If it is high school, it can be called high-school basketball. If it is college or university, it can be called collegiate basketball.

guzhao67

Member Type
Native Language
French
Home Country
France
Current Location
China
Thank you very much. Then what's the difference between "campus basketball" and "basketball on-campus", I found these two expressions on web. And according to OED, "campus" can generally refer to the playing ground in school. Are these two expressions synonymous? Do they also mean high school or collegiate basketball?

guzhao67

Member Type
Native Language
French
Home Country
France
Current Location
China
If it is high school, it can be called high-school basketball. If it is college or university, it can be called collegiate basketball.
Thank you very much. Then what's the difference between "campus basketball" and "basketball on-campus", I found these two expressions on web. And according to OED, "campus" can generally refer to the playing ground in school. Are these two expressions synonymous? Do they also mean high school or collegiate basketball?
(I posted twice, ignore the repetition please, and in fact, I posted again to quote your answer, or it seems to be a reply to the question posted by myself)

GoesStation

No Longer With Us (RIP)
Member Type
Interested in Language
Native Language
American English
Home Country
United States
Current Location
United States
In the US, we rarely use "campus" for a high school's grounds. Hearing "campus" in isolation would make most Americans think of the grounds of a college or university. The term is also used for non-academic facilities with more than one building on a contiguous piece of ground as in "hospital campus." Note that the campus is the whole area on which facilities are located. Basketball and tennis courts may be located on a campus, but campus does not (in the US) mean the place where people play sports.

I think the most common term in the US for basketball at the college and university level is "college basketball."

MikeNewYork

VIP Member
Member Type
Academic
Native Language
American English
Home Country
United States
Current Location
United States

GoesStation

No Longer With Us (RIP)
Member Type
Interested in Language
Native Language
American English
Home Country
United States
Current Location
United States
My high school also had a real campus, but I think that's quite rare.

guzhao67

Member Type
Native Language
French
Home Country
France
Current Location
China

guzhao67

Member Type
Native Language
French
Home Country
France
Current Location
China
In the US, we rarely use "campus" for a high school's grounds. Hearing "campus" in isolation would make most Americans think of the grounds of a college or university. The term is also used for non-academic facilities with more than one building on a contiguous piece of ground as in "hospital campus." Note that the campus is the whole area on which facilities are located. Basketball and tennis courts may be located on a campus, but campus does not (in the US) mean the place where people play sports.

I think the most common term in the US for basketball at the college and university level is "college basketball."
Thank you. But is there any expression or general term which includes both high school basketball and college basketball? Do you say "school basketball" when you want to say "basketball played in high school or college or university"?

MikeNewYork

VIP Member
Member Type
Academic
Native Language
American English
Home Country
United States
Current Location
United States
We might say "he played basketball in school".

Status
Not open for further replies.