Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
English
Home Country
Canada
Current Location
Switzerland
I am currently writing an MA research paper in linguistics and need to generate some general statistics (word count, # of words per sentence, average words per sentence, etc.) for a number of short text excerpts. As far as I can tell, the content analysis tool on this website (https://www.usingenglish.com/resources/text-statistics.php) should be able to do all that I need it to.

My question: Has anyone used this tool for academic research? If so, how did you cite it? I.e. what is the name of the software being used here? And, most importantly, does anyone have any information on the reliability of the results generated?

Any input would be much appreciated!

Tdol

No Longer With Us (RIP)
Staff member
Native Language
British English
Home Country
UK
Current Location
Japan
There's a more advanced version here: https://www.usingenglish.com/members/text-analysis/
The Help page explains how the calculations are made.

The routines and algorithms are publicly available, the code to implement them was written in-house by Adam King, the webmaster here, together with an additional tool provided by Alex Russell, a teacher and games writer. I've never cited it, but I would follow your style manual's guides for a webpage.

They have been tested by a number of people for accuracy, but are provided on an as-is basis.

caramac

Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
English
Home Country
Canada
Current Location
Switzerland
Many thanks, Tdol!

Can you please send a link to the Help page / information on how the calculations are made. I can't seem to find it. Thanks in advance!

konungursvia

VIP Member
Member Type
Academic
Native Language
English
Home Country
Canada
Current Location
Canada
I think using that as a tool for an MA thesis is a great idea. I would try to include other tools, as well.

Tdol

No Longer With Us (RIP)
Staff member
Native Language
British English
Home Country
UK
Current Location
Japan
It has been used before for plenty of academic papers, but I agree with you that also using other tools is a good idea.

Status
Not open for further replies.