Member Type
Interested in Language
Native Language
Russian
Home Country
Russian Federation
Current Location
Russian Federation
Hello. I actually have already posted a simmular thread about words, but only from classical literature. I am a language learner from Russia and I am trying to learn more new words from movies. I am not sure if what I learn is useful. Tell me please if these words are more or less often used (sometimes maybe) and if you think it's a good idea to learn them. It's from two series, Peep Show and Galavant.
knob
knackered
chirpy
cloy
hammy
lurgy
quibble
transfix
felling
abrasion
clock smb
diddle smb
freeload
flustered
scurry
pious
cesspool
feces
snazzy
spazzy
reprise
qualm
rota
evict

bhaisahab

Staff member
Member Type
Retired English Teacher
Native Language
British English
Home Country
England
Current Location
Ireland
They are all fairly common in certain contexts.

TheParser

VIP Member
Member Type
Other
Native Language
English
Home Country
United States
Current Location
United States
***** NOT A TEACHER *****

Hello, Marymex:

In my opinion, here are at least five words that you should add to your vocabulary. (I have made up these sentences.)

1. You owe me $100. You have only $99. I will accept it as full payment. I am not going to quibble over one dollar.

2. If TheParser calls, tell him that we are both very sick. He wants to visit us this weekend because he just wants to freeload off us for two days.

3. I always pay $1 for my morning donut. This morning, however, I was charged $1.50. I was so flustered by this sudden increase in price that I didn't think to complain. I just meekly paid and left.

4. I am eager to see that new movie at the Royale Theater. My favorite actress is reprising a role that she had in a previous movie ten years ago. [Please pronounce "reprise" correctly. Many people do not.]

5. Do I think that you should marry TheParser? Well, if you have any qualms about the matter, I wouldn't take a chance.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.