• Native Language:
      • Czech
      • Home Country:
      • Czech Republic
      • Current Location:
      • Czech Republic

Tabernacling and unction

Hello,

Can anybody help me to comprehend the meaning of tabernacling (an analogy to tabernacle?) and chiefly unction?

'Oh, sir, I sometimes wonder if what we call childhood and growing up isn't a copy of the fate of our ancient forefathers. In the beginning of time there were Fallen Angels, we are told; but even if it weren't there in Holy Writ, we might have learnt it of our own fears and misgivings. I sometimes find myself looking at a young child with little short of awe, sir, knowing that within its mind is a scene of peace and paradise of which we older folk have no notion, and which will fade away out of it, as life wears on, like the mere tabernacling of a dream.' There was no trace of unction in his speech, though the phraseology might suggest it, and he smiled at me as if in reassurance. 'You see, sir--if I have any true notion of the matter--then I say, heaven is dealing very gently with Dr. Pomfrey. He has gone back, and, I take it, his soul is elsewhere and at rest.'

All Hallows, Walter De La Mare, 1927

Thanks a lot.
    Not a Teacher

• Member Info
      • Native Language:
      • American English
      • Home Country:
      • United States
      • Current Location:
      • United States

Re: Tabernacling and unction

Yes, it is a reference to a tabernacle. Something where precious things are stored away. It's not normally a verb, this use is creative.

"Unction" is "a manner of expression arising or apparently arising from deep emotion, especially as intended to flatter."

It's a clever use of the word, since it also has a sacramental meaning, having to do with annointing with oil.

• Member Info
      • Native Language:
      • Czech
      • Home Country:
      • Czech Republic
      • Current Location:
      • Czech Republic

Re: Tabernacling and unction

Quote Originally Posted by SoothingDave View Post

It's a clever use of the word, since it also has a sacramental meaning, having to do with annointing with oil.
    That is what puzzled me. Thanks for help.
    Not a Teacher