• Member Info
      • Native Language:
      • Chinese
      • Home Country:
      • Taiwan
      • Current Location:
      • Taiwan

While I was serving at the police station/somebody was breaking in a jewelry store

While I was serving at the police station on Sunday night, I received a call saying that somebody was breaking in a jewelry store on the 15th Street at the moment.
    -Is this sentence correct? I think the red parts I marked are wrong. How should I revise them?

• Member Info
      • Native Language:
      • English
      • Home Country:
      • England
      • Current Location:
      • England

Re: While I was serving at the police station/somebody was breaking in a jewelry stor

Once again, do not flood the forum with unanswered questions.

Are you asking us to do your homework with these endless questions?

• Member Info
      • Native Language:
      • Chinese
      • Home Country:
      • Taiwan
      • Current Location:
      • Taiwan

Re: While I was serving at the police station/somebody was breaking in a jewelry stor

Quote Originally Posted by Rover_KE View Post
    Once again, do not flood the forum with unanswered questions.

Are you asking us to do your homework with these endless questions?
    These are Not my homework. These are sentences that I found a little odd from my teacher's handout. I just want to conform what's the correct way of saying them. As what I said, my teacher is NOT an English native speaker, so there might be some mistakes in her handout. When I questioned her, she usually didn't think she is wrong, so the only way that I could solve all my questions is to post them here. I'm not kind of bored to ask you all to do my homework for me. I just want to learn the most correct English!

• Member Info
      • Native Language:
      • British English
      • Home Country:
      • England
      • Current Location:
      • Ireland

"While I was serving at the police station on Sunday night, I received a call saying that somebody was breaking into a jewelry store on 15th Street."

The red parts are almost OK, "in" should be "into". There were, however, some other problems, "the" is not needed before "15th Street", and "at the moment" is not necessary at the end.
    “Every miserable fool who has nothing at all of which he can be proud, adopts as a last resource pride in the nation to which he belongs; he is ready and happy to defend all its faults and follies tooth and nail, thus reimbursing himself for his own inferiority.”

— Arthur Schopenhauer

• Member Info
      • Native Language:
      • Chinese
      • Home Country:
      • Taiwan
      • Current Location:
      • Taiwan

While I was serving at the police station on Sunday night...
    Does anybody think the red part here is a little odd? For me, I think that it should be I was on duties at the police station. "I was serving at the police station" sounds odd to me although I'm not an English native speaker.

• Member Info
      • Native Language:
      • American English
      • Home Country:
      • United States
      • Current Location:
      • United States

I can imagine that serving at the police station might be standard usage in some dialects, but I've never seen it. You can write "I was on duty" but not "on duties."
    I am not a teacher.