While I was serving at the police station/somebody was breaking in a jewelry store

Status
Not open for further replies.

z7655431

Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Chinese
Home Country
Taiwan
Current Location
Taiwan
While I was serving at the police station on Sunday night, I received a call saying that somebody was breaking in a jewelry store on the 15[SUP]th[/SUP] Street at the moment.
-Is this sentence correct? I think the red parts I marked are wrong. How should I revise them?

Rover_KE

Staff member
Member Type
Retired English Teacher
Native Language
British English
Home Country
England
Current Location
England
Once again, do not flood the forum with unanswered questions.

Are you asking us to do your homework with these endless questions?

z7655431

Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Chinese
Home Country
Taiwan
Current Location
Taiwan
Once again, do not flood the forum with unanswered questions.

Are you asking us to do your homework with these endless questions?
These are Not my homework. These are sentences that I found a little odd from my teacher's handout. I just want to conform what's the correct way of saying them. As what I said, my teacher is NOT an English native speaker, so there might be some mistakes in her handout. When I questioned her, she usually didn't think she is wrong, so the only way that I could solve all my questions is to post them here. I'm not kind of bored to ask you all to do my homework for me. I just want to learn the most correct English!

bhaisahab

Staff member
Member Type
Retired English Teacher
Native Language
British English
Home Country
England
Current Location
Ireland
"While I was serving at the police station on Sunday night, I received a call saying that somebody was breaking into a jewelry store on 15[SUP]th[/SUP] Street."

The red parts are almost OK, "in" should be "into". There were, however, some other problems, "the" is not needed before "15th Street", and "at the moment" is not necessary at the end.

z7655431

Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Chinese
Home Country
Taiwan
Current Location
Taiwan
While I was serving at the police station on Sunday night...
Does anybody think the red part here is a little odd? For me, I think that it should be I was on duties at the police station. "I was serving at the police station" sounds odd to me although I'm not an English native speaker.

GoesStation

No Longer With Us (RIP)
Member Type
Interested in Language
Native Language
American English
Home Country
United States
Current Location
United States
I can imagine that serving at the police station might be standard usage in some dialects, but I've never seen it. You can write "I was on duty" but not "on duties."

Status
Not open for further replies.