Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
Japanese
Home Country
Japan
Current Location
Japan
I read somewhere that English phrasal verbs come from a certain family of the language, which, of course, affect English.
Is it true? If so, which language family? Germanic or European?

Thank you for your help.

Raymott

VIP Member
Member Type
Academic
Native Language
English
Home Country
Australia
Current Location
Australia
Germanic languages are European.

Weaver67

Member Type
Interested in Language
Native Language
Russian
Home Country
Russian Federation
Current Location
Russian Federation
Not a teacher

I have heard that phrasal verbs are the result of the Germanic influence on English, and are sometimes called Anglo-Saxon verbs.

Last edited by a moderator:

bhaisahab

Staff member
Member Type
Retired English Teacher
Native Language
British English
Home Country
England
Current Location
Ireland
I have never heard phrasal verbs described as "Anglo-Saxon verbs". Many phrasal verbs have Latin roots.

Last edited by a moderator:

Weaver67

Member Type
Interested in Language
Native Language
Russian
Home Country
Russian Federation
Current Location
Russian Federation
Not a teacher.
----------------

Thank you, bhaisahab, for pointing that out.

Some people argue that the prominent feature of some phrasal verbs to take particles as their inherent constituents is in line with the ability of German verbs to take many inflectional forms by means of suffixes and prefixes, which are either separable or inseparable. I am not sure that this similarity can prove that there is a direct line of descent, nor do I feel that I am in a position to completely reject it. To be honest, I have never intended to do a thorough research on the question of their origin: the matter is rather complicated and is of no practical use to me; although I must admit the term "Anglo-Saxon verb" does sound rather intriguing.

If the OP is still interested in this question, the following discussion on another forum might be interesting:http://www.wordwizard.com/phpbb3/viewtopic.php?f=7&t=23714&view=previous

Tdol

No Longer With Us (RIP)
Staff member
Native Language
British English
Home Country
UK
Current Location
Japan
I have never heard phrasal verbs described as "Anglo-Saxon verbs". Many phrasal verbs have Latin roots.

Neither have I. However, I would say that the majority of phrasal verbs do not come from Latin or French.

Status
Not open for further replies.