• Member Info
      • Native Language:
      • Persian
      • Home Country:
      • Iran
      • Current Location:
      • Iran

Why "rehearsing?" [Harvey was asked what time he would be through rehearsing.]

Hello,

I want to know why in the following sentence we must use "rehearsing?" I used "rehearse" but it was wrong; Don't know why it is wrong and even why "rehearsing" is correct. would you please explain it?

Harvey was asked what time he would be through (to rehearse) (rehearse) (rehearsing).
    Thank you in advance.

• Member Info
      • Native Language:
      • British English
      • Home Country:
      • Italy
      • Current Location:
      • France

Re: Why "rehearsing?" [Harvey was asked what time he would be through rehearsing.]

'Be through' in this context means 'have finished', so it can't be followed by an infinitive or conjugated verb. The correct answer is 'rehearsing'.

However, this use of 'be through', although understood, is not really natural in BrE.

You could make a case for 'to rehearse' being the right answer, if you take 'be through' to mean 'come into the place where the rehearsal is taking place'.
    I am not a teacher

• Member Info
      • Native Language:
      • Persian
      • Home Country:
      • Iran
      • Current Location:
      • Iran

Re: Why "rehearsing?" [Harvey was asked what time he would be through rehearsing.]

Quote Originally Posted by Roman55 View Post
    'Be through' in this context means 'have finished', so it can't be followed by an infinitive or conjugated verb. The correct answer is 'rehearsing'.

However, this use of 'be through', although understood, is not really natural in BrE.

You could make a case for 'to rehearse' being the right answer, if you take 'be through' to mean 'come into the place where the rehearsal is taking place'.
    Thank you so much for explanation but after reading your answer I was faced with another problem. (Don't know could I write this sentence grammatically or not).

You said that "be through" means "have finished," therefore if we want to rephrase the original text it will be as follows:

"Harvey was asked what time he would have finished rehearsing."

The above sentence is third conditional and denotes that Harvey was asked when he had finished rehearsing. Am I right?

But I'm not sure how can I make a sentence denoting as the following situation: (It's about past time)

David asked Harvey hurriedly that when he would finish rehearsing.

• Member Info
      • Native Language:
      • American English
      • Home Country:
      • United States
      • Current Location:
      • United States

Quote Originally Posted by Roman55 View Post

However, this use of 'be through', although understood, is not really natural in BrE. It is natural in AmE.

You could make a case for 'to rehearse' being the right answer, if you take 'be through' to mean 'come into the place where the rehearsal is taking place'. That is not natural in AmE.
    MNY

• Member Info
      • Native Language:
      • British English
      • Home Country:
      • England
      • Current Location:
      • Ireland

"Harvey was asked what time he would have finished rehearsing."

This means that Harvey didn't rehearse and he was asked what time he would have finished if he had.
    “Every miserable fool who has nothing at all of which he can be proud, adopts as a last resource pride in the nation to which he belongs; he is ready and happy to defend all its faults and follies tooth and nail, thus reimbursing himself for his own inferiority.”

— Arthur Schopenhauer