S+"froze/beV+frozen/beV+freezing"+"to death"-Hundreds of people froze in the water.

Status
Not open for further replies.

z7655431

Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Chinese
Home Country
Taiwan
Current Location
Taiwan
S+"froze/beV+frozen/beV+freezing"+"to death"-Hundreds of people froze in the water.

A.
By the time the rescue team got to the scene, the ship had sunk to the ground of the ocean and hundreds of people had been frozen in ice-cold water.

(1)Is this sentence correct?
(2)In the red part, should I delete the word been?
(3)In the orange part, should I add an "the" before "ice-cold water"?

B.
Besides, the following are some related questions:
a. Hundreds of people froze in the ice-cold water.
b. Hundreds of people were frozen in the ice-cold water.
c. John froze to death.
d. John was freezing to death.
e. John was frozen to death.
Are these sentences all correct? What's difference between these sentences? Which expression is more common?

Rover_KE

Staff member
Member Type
Retired English Teacher
Native Language
British English
Home Country
England
Current Location
England
Re: S+"froze/beV+frozen/beV+freezing"+"to death"-Hundreds of people froze in the wate

Where did you find this? '...to the ground of the ocean' is not a natural English sentence.

z7655431

Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Chinese
Home Country
Taiwan
Current Location
Taiwan
Re: S+"froze/beV+frozen/beV+freezing"+"to death"-Hundreds of people froze in the wate

Where did you find this? '...to the ground of the ocean' is not a natural English sentence.
By the time the rescue team got to the scene, the ship had sunk to the ground of the ocean and hundreds of people had been frozen in ice-cold water.
-This sentence is from my teacher's handout. I don't know whether my teacher wrote it by herself or not, or just copied it from other sources. I myself think that the "ground" should be the "bottom". Right?

The other sentences from a to e are written by myself. And I am wondering if they're OK and if there's any difference between them.

kilroy65

Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
Bulgarian
Home Country
Bulgaria
Current Location
Bulgaria

Please define "OK" in your question above. Do you mean "grammatically correct" or "semantically sound"? The last sentence (B.e.), for example, may be interpreted as "Somebody killed John by freezing him." As to the other part of your question- yes, each sentence has a different meaning.

Last edited:

z7655431

Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Chinese
Home Country
Taiwan
Current Location
Taiwan

Please define "OK" in your question above. Do you mean "grammatically correct" or "semantically sound"? The last sentence (B.e.), for example, may be interpreted as "Somebody killed John by freezing him." As to the other part of your question- yes, each sentence has a different meaning.
The OK means English native speakers can accept and won't feel weird about the sentences I gave.

Status
Not open for further replies.