• Member Info
      • Native Language:
      • Chinese
      • Home Country:
      • Taiwan
      • Current Location:
      • Taiwan

Verb Tense-S was/had been... for XX...--Tom was in this shop for 10 years when...

1. Tom worked/had worked in this shop for 10 years when he was young. But he left there many years ago.
    2. Jim was/had been a teacher for ten years, from 1995 to 2005. Now he is a salesman.
    3. Mrs. Won was/had been in our class for three months, but then she left school to get a job

In the red parts of the three sentences above, the answers are all was (the simple past tense). But, I myself would choose had been (the past perfect tense), because of the terms of for a period of time. Could anybody tell me what are the real answers here? And, in sentence 3, is "but then" used correctly? Why not "and then"? Thanks!

P.S
    Probably two of the three sentences are either from my teacher's handouts or from my grammar book (Azar).
    (I'm not sure because I am now on winter vacation living at home, but most of my books are in my dorm. I copied those sentences into Word long time a ago.) And, sentence 1 is from one of my Facebook Group. There's someone asking that sentence, and I copied it.

Also, the title should be
    Verb Tense-S was/had been... for XX...--Tom "worked" in this shop for 10 years when...

Last edited by z7655431; 28-Jan-2016 at 16:26.

• Member Info
      • Native Language:
      • British English
      • Home Country:
      • England
      • Current Location:
      • Ireland

Re: Verb Tense-S was/had been... for XX...--Tom was in this shop for 10 years when...

Please cite the source of these sentences.
    “Every miserable fool who has nothing at all of which he can be proud, adopts as a last resource pride in the nation to which he belongs; he is ready and happy to defend all its faults and follies tooth and nail, thus reimbursing himself for his own inferiority.”

— Arthur Schopenhauer

• Member Info
      • Native Language:
      • Chinese
      • Home Country:
      • Taiwan
      • Current Location:
      • Taiwan

Re: Verb Tense-S was/had been... for XX...--Tom was in this shop for 10 years when...

Quote Originally Posted by bhaisahab View Post
    Please cite the source of these sentences.
    OK! I've added them in my post.

• Member Info
      • Native Language:
      • British English
      • Home Country:
      • England
      • Current Location:
      • Ireland

I would use "was" in all of them. The first sentence in #1 is odd. What was Tom doing in the shop for 10 years?
    “Every miserable fool who has nothing at all of which he can be proud, adopts as a last resource pride in the nation to which he belongs; he is ready and happy to defend all its faults and follies tooth and nail, thus reimbursing himself for his own inferiority.”

— Arthur Schopenhauer

• Member Info
      • Native Language:
      • Chinese
      • Home Country:
      • Taiwan
      • Current Location:
      • Taiwan

Quote Originally Posted by bhaisahab View Post
    I would use "was" in all of them. The first sentence in #1 is odd. What was Tom doing in the shop for 10 years?
    OMG! I'm so sorry. It is a big typo. It should be Tom worked or had worked...

• Member Info
      • Native Language:
      • British English
      • Home Country:
      • England
      • Current Location:
      • Ireland

In that case "worked" is correct.

— Arthur Schopenhauer