[Grammar] rule of omitting one's surname – Ellie and Irene Bard.

Status
Not open for further replies.

KuaiLe

Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Chinese
Home Country
Taiwan
Current Location
Taiwan
Dear all,

I came across the acknowledgements in a book and one sentence of it reads:

"Thanks also to David Race, Ellie and Irene Bard, and Conrad Feather."

I noticed that Ellie's surname has been omitted. Does this mean she shares the same surname with Irene?

Besides, I know that husband and wifes' names can be written in this way in English. But both Ellie and Irene are female names. I suppose they are not husband and wife. I'd like to know if two (or more) pepoles' names can be written in this way as long as they share the same surname, or if this implies that they are in a marital relationship, or if this implies that Ellie and Irene are sisters and perhaps Ellie is the older one.

Rover_KE

Staff member
Member Type
Retired English Teacher
Native Language
British English
Home Country
England
Current Location
England
Re: rule of omitting one's surname

Same-sex marriages take place in a growing number of countries. We cannot tell whether Ellie and Irene Bard are spouses, sisters, mother and daughter, or cousins, though if the book pre-dates 2001, they will not be spouses.

(Note: '...husband and wife's names...')

Last edited:

MikeNewYork

VIP Member
Member Type
Academic
Native Language
American English
Home Country
United States
Current Location
United States
Re: rule of omitting one's surname

To answer the first question, I read that as the two women having the same surname. Their relationship cannot be determined by the original "sentence".

GoesStation

No Longer With Us (RIP)
Member Type
Interested in Language
Native Language
American English
Home Country
United States
Current Location
United States
If Ellie Bard and Irene Bard are unrelated, the author would have included the surname both times. Thus we can infer that they are related. We can't guess what their relationship is.

Tdol

No Longer With Us (RIP)
Staff member
Native Language
British English
Home Country
UK
Current Location
Japan
I suppose they are not husband and wife.

From the wording we cannot tell, but my default interpretation would be that they're married. I would go for their being siblings second. Sharing a surname would come very low down the list.

emsr2d2

Staff member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
British English
Home Country
UK
Current Location
UK
I would make the same assumptions as Tdol. Like GoesStation, I would expect the surname to be repeated if the two people happened to share the same surname but were unrelated.

Status
Not open for further replies.