• Member Info
      • Native Language:
      • Serbo-Croatian
      • Home Country:
      • Bosnia Herzegovina
      • Current Location:
      • Sweden

Verb "confine"

I have used the verb "confine" in the following sentences. Would you please correct my mistakes.

1. After her husband's death, Hannah confined herself to her house, seldom leaving it, and occasionally inviting a few old friends.
    2. She felt confined in her marriage and thought of a divorce, as soon as her children grew up.
    3. The police tried to confine the demonstrators in one street to prevent them from reaching the Parliament.
    4. Peter was confined to bed most of the time in the last two months, which had strained him both physically and mentally.

• Member Info
      • Native Language:
      • British English
      • Home Country:
      • England
      • Current Location:
      • Ireland

Re: Verb "confine"

Yes, "confine" is correctly used.
    “Every miserable fool who has nothing at all of which he can be proud, adopts as a last resource pride in the nation to which he belongs; he is ready and happy to defend all its faults and follies tooth and nail, thus reimbursing himself for his own inferiority.”

— Arthur Schopenhauer

• Member Info
      • Native Language:
      • British English
      • Home Country:
      • UK
      • Current Location:
      • UK

Re: Verb "confine"

Quote Originally Posted by Bassim View Post
    I have used the verb "confine" in the following sentences. Would you please correct my mistakes.

1. After her husband's death, Hannah confined herself to her house, seldom leaving it, and occasionally inviting a few old friends to visit.
    I would use "to the house", rather than "to her house" but your version is not wrong.

2. She felt confined in her marriage and thought of a divorce about divorcing/about getting divorced, as soon as her children grew up.
    I might use "confined by her marriage".

3. The police tried to confine the demonstrators in to one street to prevent them from reaching the Parliament building.
    I would use either "the Parliament building" or just "Parliament" (no article).

4. Peter was confined to bed most of the time in for/over the last two months, which had strained him both physically and mentally.
    See above.
    Remember - if you don't use correct capitalisation, punctuation and spacing, anything you write will be incorrect.