Member Type
Interested in Language
Native Language
English
Home Country
Great Britain
Current Location
Great Britain
I'm trying to find software that will analyse text and indicate how close repeated words are in the text (perhaps by colour coding). I've spent quite a bit of time searching but have had no luck so far. The text analysis tool on this website is the best I have come across so far but it doesn't quite do what I'm looking for. Obviously many common words can be discarded.

I often write page long summaries and use word clouds to see which words are repeated but I then have to review where in the text they appear. A lot of the time (if the duplicated words are suitably spaced) it doesn't matter but if I have inadvertently repeated the same word in consecutive sentences, for example, I will often want to change one of the instances it's used. Despite spending time re-reading the text I find, too late, that a repeated word has slipped through, which is most annoying.

Any help would be much appreciated.

With thanks ... Dave

Tdol

No Longer With Us (RIP)
Staff member
Native Language
British English
Home Country
UK
Current Location
Japan
I don't know of any such software. I have contacted the webmaster to see how possible it is to create it.

hightime

Member Type
Interested in Language
Native Language
English
Home Country
Great Britain
Current Location
Great Britain
I've done more research and so far have only found Autocrit that does this kind of analysis (among many other features). Basically, words that are repeated and in close proximity are highlighted. I've only used it 'to try' which has limitations. There is an annual cost involved.

Red5

Webmaster, UsingEnglish.com
Staff member
Member Type
Interested in Language
Native Language
British English
Home Country
England
Current Location
England
Sorry for the delay in getting back to you on this. I find the requested feature very interesting and am currently analysing how easy it would be to add to our text analysis tool. By the way, thanks for your kind words. :)

Status
Not open for further replies.