Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Russian
Home Country
Russian Federation
Current Location
Russian Federation
1. It's essential that everyone be here on time.
2. It's essential that everyone is here on time.

To be fully honest with you, I've been using the second sentence for my entire life but I've just read that it's possible to say the first one. I wonder if there's a difference in their meanings.

In my opinion they do not mean the same thing because apparently the word "should" is ommited before the word "be". Am I right? :-|

Roman55

Key Member
Member Type
Interested in Language
Native Language
British English
Home Country
Italy
Current Location
France
They have the same meaning, but 1. uses the subjunctive and 2. uses the indicative. They are both commonly used.

PS. I would add (this is after tzfujimino 'liked' my original post almost before I'd had time to write it) that in some languages, the version written in the indicative would simply be wrong. This is not the case in English.

Last edited:

Boris Tatarenko

Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Russian
Home Country
Russian Federation
Current Location
Russian Federation
Thank you.

That means that I'll keep sticking to the second one. :-D

GoesStation

No Longer With Us (RIP)
Member Type
Interested in Language
Native Language
American English
Home Country
United States
Current Location
United States
The subjunctive (sentence 1) is the usual AmE usage; in fact, sentence 2 feels wrong to me as an AmE speaker. My observation of British usage is that the indicative (sentence 2) is typical in BrE.

Boris Tatarenko

Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Russian
Home Country
Russian Federation
Current Location
Russian Federation
The subjunctive (sentence 1) is the usual AmE usage; in fact, sentence 2 feels wrong to me as an AmE speaker. My observation of British usage is that the indicative (sentence 2) is typical in BrE.

It's really unpleasant because I prefer AmE and I'm not used to saying something like sentence 1 at all. :cry: However, if "should" isn't omitted, it's not a big deal for me to go for the first sentence. Does it sound natural with "should"?

GoesStation

No Longer With Us (RIP)
Member Type
Interested in Language
Native Language
American English
Home Country
United States
Current Location
United States
The subjunctive is used more often in AmE than in BrE. I notice the difference the most in sentences like "The President insisted that the decision be reversed." BrE would, I think, almost always say "was reversed," which just sounds weird to me. AmE retains a nuance here that has disappeared in BrE; in AmE, "The President insisted that the decision was reversed" means the decision had been made some time ago, someone asserted that it had not been changed, and the President contradicted that person.

Returning to your question, if you're asking whether "It's essential that everyone should be here on time" sounds natural in AmE, I'd say it's a little heavy but not terribly unnatural. "It's essential" and "should" are redundant.

SoothingDave

VIP Member
Member Type
Interested in Language
Native Language
American English
Home Country
United States
Current Location
United States
I agree. "Should" is not wrong, but it is redundant.

bhaisahab

Staff member
Member Type
Retired English Teacher
Native Language
British English
Home Country
England
Current Location
Ireland
I would use the subjunctive "be" in the given examples. (BrE speaker)

emsr2d2

Staff member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
British English
Home Country
UK
Current Location
UK
So would I (BrE) but I am aware that I'm in something of a minority these days.

Raymott

VIP Member
Member Type
Academic
Native Language
English
Home Country
Australia
Current Location
Australia
I'd also use the subjunctive. And I wouldn't use 'should' if it wasn't right. There are cases where 'should' makes no sense.
1. "The colonel ordered that the deserter should be shot."
2. "The colonel ordered that the deserter be shot."

To me (AusE), only 2 makes sense. The colonel might believe that the deserter should be shot. But if he wants it to happen, the order must be that the deserter be shot.

emsr2d2

Staff member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
British English
Home Country
UK
Current Location
UK
I agree with Raymott. A rather messy sentence to illustrate this point is "The colonel thought/believed/felt the deserter should be shot so he ordered that the deserter be shot".

Raymott

VIP Member
Member Type
Academic
Native Language
English
Home Country
Australia
Current Location
Australia
I agree that it depends on the main verb used. In speech, I would probably say, "The colonel ordered the deserter to be shot."

Status
Not open for further replies.