• Native Language:
      • Persian
      • Home Country:
      • Iran
      • Current Location:
      • Iran

Rose Malloes.

Hi!
    The following Sentences are from a Spanish Itinerary written about 400 years ago, and translated 115 years ago into English. Of course the sentences are footnotes of the English translation. They are from some passages describing the routs of the traveler, who was crossing Syria. The problematic sentences or wrords are printen in bold.

Hughes's Map shows the modern caravan route as running south- west of the "Jebel Shbeit" and crossing the "Jebel Amiri" to "Hikla" our traveller's "Acle." The latter evidently rounded the first range by its north-eastern side, and the second by its eastern end, marching on to "Acle"

What are the antecedents of "the latter" and "the second"?

Liquidambar orientalis, of the Hamamelidese, a tree of Asia Minor, yields liquid storax, or styrax; or "Rose Malloes," a resin. (Pharmacographia).

What is the exact meaning of "Rose Malloes"?

Calaminta in origin. Probably Mentha sylvestre. But perhaps a misprint for "calamita" an inferior storax produced by some reed (calamus) whence this name. The other is good Greek — kalaminthe.

What is the meaning the sentence printed in bold?

For English use, the Latin names are most generally convenient, and the use of language is to be understood, "and not to show how clever one is," as the Colonel said on the Examining Board.

The above sentece is about the necessity of learning Latin. But the Colonel and the Examining Board Are unknown t me.

Thanks very much.

• Member Info
      • Native Language:
      • British English
      • Home Country:
      • England
      • Current Location:
      • Ireland

Re: Some difficult sentences

http://www.oxforddictionaries.com/de...h/rose-malloes

You can look up "Colonel" and "Examining Board" on the internet. Just like I did with "Rose Malloes".
    “Every miserable fool who has nothing at all of which he can be proud, adopts as a last resource pride in the nation to which he belongs; he is ready and happy to defend all its faults and follies tooth and nail, thus reimbursing himself for his own inferiority.”

— Arthur Schopenhauer

• Member Info
      • Native Language:
      • English
      • Home Country:
      • England
      • Current Location:
      • England

Re: Rose Malloes.

pars, I have changed your thread title.

'Thread titles should include all or part of the word/phrase being discussed.'

• Member Info
      • Native Language:
      • English
      • Home Country:
      • United States
      • Current Location:
      • United States

Re: Rose Malloes.

Quote Originally Posted by pars View Post
    Hughes's Map shows the modern caravan route as running south- west of the "Jebel Shbeit" and crossing the "Jebel Amiri" to "Hikla" our traveller's "Acle." The latter evidently rounded the first range by its north-eastern side, and the second by its eastern end, marching on to "Acle"

What are the antecedents of "the latter" and "the second"?
    'Latter' is referring to the modern caravan route. I'm guessing that in some text prior to this paragraph there was discussion about another caravan route.

'Second' is referring to the 2nd mountain range.

The modern route rounded the first range on the north-eastern side, and the second range by its eastern end.

Calaminta in origin. Probably Mentha sylvestre.But perhaps a misprint for "calamita" an inferior storax produced by some reed (calamus) whence this name. The other is good Greek — kalaminthe.

What is the meaning the sentence printed in bold?
    I would say that it means that the second item is clearly understood to be kalaminthe, a Greek word. They're guessing at the intended meaning of the word which was used to refer to the storax.

However, since I don't know why they're having to guess, please post some more of the text which comes before this so I have a little more context.

For your other definitions, see post #2.
    Wear short sleeves! Support your right to bare arms!