[Idiom] Feel the burn / serves you right?

Status
Not open for further replies.

JarekSteliga

Member Type
Interested in Language
Native Language
Polish
Home Country
Poland
Current Location
Poland
When you say "feel the burn" to someone suffering, do you imply that that person somehow brought the the original misfortune onto themselves and therefore deserves the punishment? If not, what on earth prompts you to say this, the indulgence in your personal sadistic inclinations? :roll:

bhaisahab

Staff member
Member Type
Retired English Teacher
Native Language
British English
Home Country
England
Current Location
Ireland
I have never said, and almost certainly will never say, "feel the burn". I can't imagine what would prompt anyone to say that.

JarekSteliga

Member Type
Interested in Language
Native Language
Polish
Home Country
Poland
Current Location
Poland
My attention was attracted to the expression when I found this article posted on Facebook http://www.nbcnews.com/news/us-news...s-ancestral-polish-hometown-n510531?cid=sm_fb with the following comment: "THIS VILLAGE IN POLAND IS FEELING THE BERN" making reference to Bern Sanders's Polish ancestral origins. Is "feeling the Bern" just a pun, or does it imply the collective state of mind of the residents of this particular village and if so, what is that collective state of mind supposed to be?

emsr2d2

Staff member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
British English
Home Country
UK
Current Location
UK
The only context in which I usually hear "feel the burn" is exercise. When your muscles start to burn (hurt), some people will say that you have reached a point where you are exercising them enough to make a difference. It's connected to the "No pain, no gain" quote which was (and probably still is) used by exercise class instructors and personal trainers.

I can only assume the "feeling the Bern" comment was meant to be a pun but since I don't know anything about the story (or who Bern Sanders is), I can't say what state of mind, if any, it was supposed to suggest.

JarekSteliga

Member Type
Interested in Language
Native Language
Polish
Home Country
Poland
Current Location
Poland

SoothingDave

VIP Member
Member Type
Interested in Language
Native Language
American English
Home Country
United States
Current Location
United States
The only context in which I usually hear "feel the burn" is exercise. When your muscles start to burn (hurt), some people will say that you have reached a point where you are exercising them enough to make a difference. It's connected to the "No pain, no gain" quote which was (and probably still is) used by exercise class instructors and personal trainers.

I can only assume the "feeling the Bern" comment was meant to be a pun but since I don't know anything about the story (or who Bern Sanders is), I can't say what state of mind, if any, it was supposed to suggest.

US Senator Bernie Sanders is running for the Democratic nomination for President against Hillary Clinton.

GoesStation

No Longer With Us (RIP)
Member Type
Interested in Language
Native Language
American English
Home Country
United States
Current Location
United States
Yes,"feeling the Bern" is just a pun. Sen. Sanders is famous for his obstreperous manner. The slogan suggests you can feel his righteous anger from a distance.

Skrej

VIP Member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
English
Home Country
United States
Current Location
United States
When you say "feel the burn" to someone suffering, do you imply that that person somehow brought the the original misfortune onto themselves and therefore deserves the punishment? If not, what on earth prompts you to say this, the indulgence in your personal sadistic inclinations? :roll:

No. There are a couple of meanings for this, but neither of them has to do with punishment.

One is related to exercise, as explained in post # 4.

The other, less commonly used, refers to the burning sensation given after swallowing certain hard liquors with a higher alcohol content, especially whiskeys.

Barb_D

Staff member
Member Type
Other
Native Language
American English
Home Country
United States
Current Location
United States
Yes,"feeling the Bern" is just a pun. Sen. Sanders is famous for his obstreperous manner. The slogan suggests you can feel his righteous anger from a distance.

I don't believe that it's related to "righteous anger" at all!
But we don't need to get into the politics of it.

The original "Feel the burn" is exactly as Ems said. When you're working out hard, you can feel your muscles "burning" (certainly I did when I increased the weight on the triceps machine the other day) and you know you're doing some good for your body.

His name is Bernie Sanders, as said above. It's a pun used by his campaign. Instead of "Feel the burn" (and you know it's getting better) it's "Feel the Bern."

Status
Not open for further replies.