1. Natascha

Question Cheers

Hi,

When I went to England, I notice that people say 'Cheers' a lot- is it used sometimes instead of 'thanks' and when is it used?

Thanks a lot

• Member Info
      • Native Language:
      • Chinese
      • Home Country:
      • Malaysia
      • Current Location:
      • Malaysia

Re: Cheers

It could have originated from the English pubs.

tedtmc, your help is greatly appreciated; however, your response doesn't quite answer the poster's question.

Please note, you are welcome to reply to posters' questions even if you are not a teacher, but please let the poster know.

• Member Info
      • Native Language:
      • Polish
      • Home Country:
      • Poland
      • Current Location:
      • Poland

Thumbs up Re: Cheers

Quote Originally Posted by Casiopea
    tedtmc, your help is greatly appreciated; however, your response doesn't quite answer the poster's question.
    Please note, you are welcome to reply to posters' questions even if you are not a teacher, but please let the poster know.
    Casiopea, this was a good point!
    Nyggus

Quote Originally Posted by Natascha
    Hi,
    When I went to England, I notice that people say 'Cheers' a lot- is it used sometimes instead of 'thanks' and when is it used?
    Thanks a lot
    "Cheers" is now used as an informal version of "thanks" in Britain, but it is really an extension of the original meaning, which is closer to "Good Health!" in most languages, and used when raising a glass to someone. In America, you will find this is the most common usage, and it is still used this way in Britain too.

In Britain, you might say 'cheers' in some of the following situations: someone holds a door open for you; a bartender returns your change; someone does you a small favour.

It is important to note though that 'cheers' is informal. You might use it amongst friends, and you might use it to strangers in an informal setting. But you should not use it at a business function, for example, or when addressing your boss or, usually, a customer. The latter rule is often broken in pubs as part of trying to generate a more informal environment - a bartender might say "cheers mate" when you give him the money for a drink, for example.

Be very wary of using "cheers mate" though unless you are very fluent - it suggests either social intimacy or a particular type of outgoing 'cheeky' personality. It can sound extremely odd or even mildly offensive in some situations.

• Member Info
      • Native Language:
      • English
      • Home Country:
      • England
      • Current Location:
      • England

It can also be used for "goodbye".

I'd concur with Coffa's "be very wary" comment: "cheers" can very easily sound incongruous, unless it's happily embedded in language of similar tone and register.

MrP

Hi, i would like to fill everyone in with some factual information. Long ago the vikings used to say cheers because those skeptical of betrayal among their men of poisoning their drinks would do a cheers where they would clank their drinks together where the drinks would mix with each other so if they get poisoned they would all share the same fate. hope that helps!

• Member Info
      • Native Language:
      • English
      • Home Country:
      • England
      • Current Location:
      • England

<Long ago the vikings used to say cheers>

Not "Skol!"?