motivation statement (summer school application)

Status
Not open for further replies.

alex_plandevel

Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Greek
Home Country
Greece
Current Location
Greece
Hello, ;-)
Kindly I am asking for somebody to check my one-page motivation statement (including proposal for a travel grant) which is required for a summer school application!

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Dear Sir or Madam:
With this letter, I would like to express my interest in attending at the Summer School on ##### this summer in Sweden.

I am currently a PhD student in the Department of Geography at the ##### and I hold a Master’s Degree in Spatial Analysis from University of ### and a Diploma in Urban Planning and Development from University of ######. Although, I am currently in the begging of 3[SUP]rd[/SUP] cycle studies and particularly in the first year, I delve into the subject of quality of life and sustainable urban mobility in cities and specifically the methodological framework of GIS-based ####### indices. To that end, I have decided to apply for the summer school and I am very delighted to find the opportunity to spend some days in Sweden this summer because firstly the thematic area of this school is very closed to my academic interests and secondly I consider it as a great opportunity to get in touch with Swedish and international culture and concurrently with academics and other colleagues specialized in geospatial technology and transport from Europe.

Therefore, I have chosen to apply for this summer school because I want to enhance my skills and experience in complex geospatial methods and big data analysis, such as the geospatial data stemming from social media. The conjunction of transport and social media is particularly interesting and up-to-date field of study and I would like to find ways of encompassing such geospatial methods and data in analyzing walking travel behavior of people in our contemporary cities and neighborhoods. However, it is very interesting to me the challenging approach of this school to conventional geospatial analysis methods like Euclidean geometry and Gaussian statistics as well as the promotion and usage of alternative new ways such as topology, fractal geometry and power law statistics. Obviously, I have no previous experience in these alternative geospatial themes and the relevant tools, but I would like to be introduced in these methods in order for me to incorporate them in my dissertation. However, I have some relevant experience in mining and analyzing twitter data with R which will be useful for the summer school.

I would very much like to spend some days this summer at the University of ####. This would give me a chance to deepen my geospatial knowledge in an inspiring and creative scientific environment as well as a chance of networking with colleagues from Europe. Furthermore, I would like to apply for the maximum amount of the travel grant (1.200 euros), as until now I am a self-funded PhD student. Particularly, the proposing travel grant is analyzed in the following amounts: 300 euros for air tickets from A to B (two-way), 100 euros for train tickets from B to C (two-way), 700 euros for 6 nights stay at a Hotel in C and 100 euros for meal expenses (Monday-Friday). All in all, I am confident that my experience in Sweden would be extremely exciting, fun, and valuable for both my studies and overall general development.

Thank you for considering my request. I look forward to your positive response.

Yours faithfully,
K.B

Last edited:

alex_plandevel

Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Greek
Home Country
Greece
Current Location
Greece
Someone to check it out??? plz :roll:

teechar

Staff member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
English
Home Country
Iraq
Current Location
Iraq
Dear Sir or Madam,

With this letter, I would like to express my interest in attending [STRIKE]at[/STRIKE] the Summer School [STRIKE]on[/STRIKE]in ##### this summer in Sweden.

I am currently a PhD student in the Department of Geography at the #####, and I hold a master’s degree in Spatial Analysis from the University of ### and a Diploma in Urban Planning and Development from the University of ######. Although I am currently [STRIKE]in[/STRIKE] at the begging of 3[SUP]rd[/SUP] cycle studies and particularly in the first year, I [STRIKE]delve into[/STRIKE] am highly interested in the subject of quality of life and sustainable urban mobility in cities and specifically the methodological framework of GIS-based ####### indices. To that end, I have decided to apply for the summer school, and I am very delighted to find the opportunity to spend some days in Sweden this summer because firstly, the thematic [STRIKE]area[/STRIKE] specialization of this school is very close to my academic interests, and secondly, I consider it as a great opportunity to get in touch with Swedish and international culture and concurrently interact with academics and other colleagues specialized in geospatial technology and transport from Europe.

Therefore, I have chosen to apply for this summer school because I want to enhance my skills and experience in complex geospatial methods and big data analysis, such as the geospatial data stemming from social media. The conjunction of transport and social media is a particularly interesting and [STRIKE]up-to-date[/STRIKE] promising field of study, and I would like to find ways of encompassing such geospatial methods and data in analyzing walking travel behavior of people in our contemporary cities and neighborhoods. [STRIKE]However, it is[/STRIKE] Moreover, I find your school's [STRIKE]very interesting to me the challenging[/STRIKE] approach [STRIKE]of this school[/STRIKE] to conventional geospatial analysis methods very interesting and challenging, especially for [STRIKE]like[/STRIKE] Euclidean geometry and Gaussian statistics as well as the promotion and usage of alternative new ways such as topology, fractal geometry and power law statistics. Obviously, I have no previous experience in these alternative geospatial themes and their relevant tools, but I would like to [STRIKE]be introduced in[/STRIKE] learn these methods in order for me to incorporate them in my dissertation. However, I have some relevant experience in mining and analyzing twitter data with R which will be useful for the summer school.

[STRIKE]I would very much like to spend some days this[/STRIKE]Additionally, the Summer School at the University of #### [STRIKE]. This[/STRIKE] would give me [STRIKE]a chance[/STRIKE] the opportunity to deepen my geospatial knowledge in an inspiring and creative scientific environment as well as a chance of networking with colleagues from Europe. Furthermore, I would like to apply for the maximum amount of the travel grant (1,200 euros), as [STRIKE]until now[/STRIKE] I am a self-funded PhD student. [STRIKE]Particularly, the proposing travel grant is analyzed in the following amounts:[/STRIKE]I would use the money from the travel grant as follows: 300 euros for air tickets from A to B (two-way), 100 euros for train tickets from B to C (two-way), 700 euros for 6 nights' stay at a Hotel in C and 100 euros for meal expenses (Monday-Friday). All in all, I am confident that my experience in Sweden would be extremely exciting, [STRIKE]fun,[/STRIKE] rewarding and valuable for both my studies and overall general development.

Thank you for considering my request. I look forward to your positive response.

Yours faithfully,
K.B

Status
Not open for further replies.