Interested in Language
Native Language
Czech
Home Country
Czech Republic
Current Location
Czech Republic
Hello,

I would like to ask somebody who knows the ropes as far as football/soccer terminology is concerned if the word "repressing" is in existence in England or USA in connection with the game. I am asking because, a year or two, a Czech commentator has begun to use the word repressing to describe a form of immediate pressing, but I am not sure whether the usage of the word in the context I have mentioned is correct.

Thank you very much.

Rover_KE

Staff member
Member Type
Retired English Teacher
Native Language
British English
Home Country
England
Current Location
England
I have watched and read about football for many years. Commentators use many bizarre expressions, but I've never heard 'repressing'.

emsr2d2

Staff member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
British English
Home Country
UK
Current Location
UK
What do you mean by "a form of immediate pressing"?

Johnyxxx

Member Type
Interested in Language
Native Language
Czech
Home Country
Czech Republic
Current Location
Czech Republic
What do you mean by "a form of immediate pressing"?

After losing the ball, the players try to get it back as soon as possible (by pressing).

emsr2d2

Staff member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
British English
Home Country
UK
Current Location
UK
I have never heard that term used in soccer. What are they pressing?

Usually, a player gets the ball from a player on the opposing team by "tackling" them.

emsr2d2

Staff member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
British English
Home Country
UK
Current Location
UK
Hmmmm, I can understand that a team needs to "put pressure" on the other team. It's interesting that your first link goes to a page containing advice from a non-native speaker (Luis Enrique) and the other to a video of a German team.

I don't follow soccer carefully enough to say that the term is not used but it's certainly not one I've ever come across.

Johnyxxx

Member Type
Interested in Language
Native Language
Czech
Home Country
Czech Republic
Current Location
Czech Republic
It's interesting that your first link goes to a page containing advice from a non-native speaker (Luis Enrique) and the other to a video of a German team.

I have mentioned them simply because they belong to the best football teams of today; they are real titans and great at using what we are talking about - pressing.

Skrej

VIP Member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
English
Home Country
United States
Current Location
United States
I know little of soccer, but it sounds like it's something akin to the defensive press in basketball, which comes in full court, half court, and zone press variants.

We usually speak of 'running the press', rather than 'pressing'. Not sure if that's just AmE or basketball in general.

A Google search for 'football pressing' yields plenty of information.

tedmc

VIP Member
Member Type
Interested in Language
Native Language
Chinese
Home Country
Malaysia
Current Location
Malaysia
To repress is to subdue or overpower someone by force. I think it is an exaggerated word for "to tackle an opponent" in football.

Raymott

VIP Member
Member Type
Academic
Native Language
English
Home Country
Australia
Current Location
Australia
To repress is to subdue or overpower someone by force. I think it is an exaggerated word for "to tackle an opponent" in football.
I don't think 'repressing' has anything to do with it, even if "re-pressing" is a concept.

Johnyxxx

Member Type
Interested in Language
Native Language
Czech
Home Country
Czech Republic
Current Location
Czech Republic
Owing to the fact English football terminology does not know repressing in the form we are talking about here, it is quite certain that he who coined the term repressing (whoever it was because the word is now used by many Czech football "experts", including the commentator-guy I mentioned in my original post) came from the fact many English words that mean something is done again or repeated have the prefix re- (restart, reboot, re-read, reconquer, recapture, regain etc.) so he decided the cool and inovative word for counter pressing in football must be re-pressing.

Last edited:

Tdol

No Longer With Us (RIP)
Staff member
Native Language
British English
Home Country
UK
Current Location
Japan
I am not a football fan, but cannot find much in Google to suggest that the commentator was doing anything other than inventing terminology- it doesn't appear to be standard.

Status
Not open for further replies.