Results 1 to 7 of 7
    • Member Info
      • Native Language:
      • Russian
      • Home Country:
      • Ukraine
      • Current Location:
      • Ukraine

    • Join Date: Dec 2011
    • Posts: 263
    #1

    it was decided

    Hello.

    To promote sales of their company it was decided to hold a contest among the buyers...

    Is it possible to rephrase this sentence to omit 'it was decided"?

    Thank you.

  1. bhaisahab's Avatar
    • Member Info
      • Native Language:
      • British English
      • Home Country:
      • England
      • Current Location:
      • Ireland

    • Join Date: Apr 2008
    • Posts: 25,629
    #2

    Re: it was decided

    "A decision was made to hold a contest among the buyers to promote the company's sales."
    “Every miserable fool who has nothing at all of which he can be proud, adopts as a last resource pride in the nation to which he belongs; he is ready and happy to defend all its faults and follies tooth and nail, thus reimbursing himself for his own inferiority.”

    — Arthur Schopenhauer

    • Member Info
      • Native Language:
      • American English
      • Home Country:
      • United States
      • Current Location:
      • United States

    • Join Date: Dec 2015
    • Posts: 9,370
    #3

    Re: it was decided

    Quote Originally Posted by Ksenia View Post
    Hello.

    To promote sales of their company it was decided to hold a contest among the buyers...

    Is it possible to rephrase this sentence to omit 'it was decided"?

    Thank you.
    It's often recommended that you avoid the passive voice. (I didn't avoid it in that clumsy sentence though!) With that in mind, you could recast your sentence as To promote their company's sales, Marketing* decided to hold a contest among the buyers.

    You should replace Marketing with whoever made the decision. I capitalized Marketing because it's the name of a department.
    I am not a teacher.

    • Member Info
      • Native Language:
      • Russian
      • Home Country:
      • Ukraine
      • Current Location:
      • Ukraine

    • Join Date: Dec 2011
    • Posts: 263
    #4

    Re: it was decided

    Could I ask you one more question?
    Prizes will be in terms of trip to Egypt.
    To me, it sounds a little bit strange "prized in terms of".
    Can I just say that the winners will get trip to Egypt?

    • Member Info
      • Native Language:
      • Russian
      • Home Country:
      • Ukraine
      • Current Location:
      • Ukraine

    • Join Date: Dec 2011
    • Posts: 263
    #5

    Re: it was decided

    Quote Originally Posted by GoesStation View Post
    It's often recommended that you avoid the passive voice. (I didn't avoid it in that clumsy sentence though!) With that in mind, you could recast your sentence as To promote their company's sales, Marketing* decided to hold a contest among the buyers.

    You should replace Marketing with whoever made the decision. I capitalized Marketing because it's the name of a department.
    Once I was said that in formal letters one should try to use more structures with the passive voice.
    It seems I started to put it wherever it's possible.

    • Member Info
      • Native Language:
      • American English
      • Home Country:
      • United States
      • Current Location:
      • United States

    • Join Date: Dec 2015
    • Posts: 9,370
    #6

    Re: it was decided

    Quote Originally Posted by Ksenia View Post
    Once I was told said that in formal letters one should try to use more structures with the passive voice.
    It seems I started to put it wherever it's possible.
    Modern style guides recommend avoiding the passive voice as a general rule. However, if the active voice becomes awkward, it's fine to switch to the passive.
    I am not a teacher.

    • Member Info
      • Native Language:
      • American English
      • Home Country:
      • United States
      • Current Location:
      • United States

    • Join Date: Dec 2015
    • Posts: 9,370
    #7

    Re: it was decided

    Quote Originally Posted by Ksenia View Post
    Could I ask you one more question?
    Prizes will be in terms of trip to Egypt.
    To me, it sounds a little bit strange "prized in terms of".
    Can I just say that the winners will get trip to Egypt?
    I agree, "prizes will be in terms of..." is weird. Prizes aren't in terms of anything; they're just prizes. Your active sentence is much better, but it requires an indefinite article before trip.
    Last edited by GoesStation; 10-Feb-2016 at 23:46. Reason: Fixed a typo.
    I am not a teacher.

Similar Threads

  1. [Grammar] When you have decided
    By shibli.aftab in forum Ask a Teacher
    Replies: 1
    Last Post: 27-Jun-2014, 18:24
  2. [Grammar] I decided that!
    By Kanojo in forum Ask a Teacher
    Replies: 6
    Last Post: 03-Sep-2013, 07:43
  3. sure/decided
    By beachboy in forum Ask a Teacher
    Replies: 7
    Last Post: 16-Jul-2010, 00:20
  4. [Grammar] I am decided
    By Manish Birdi in forum Ask a Teacher
    Replies: 8
    Last Post: 24-May-2010, 13:21
  5. decided
    By navi tasan in forum Ask a Teacher
    Replies: 3
    Last Post: 09-Jun-2004, 19:33

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •