as its name goes

"sales funnel, as its name goes, has a wide opening at one end and a narrow opening at the other end. "

Is there anything wrong with the sentence? I am not sure about the sentence in the whole, and whether the phrase "as its name goes" means that the name of the item could clarify its own characteristics.

Thanks a lot!

Emily

• Member Info
      • Native Language:
      • Chinese
      • Home Country:
      • Malaysia
      • Current Location:
      • Malaysia

Re: as its name goes

sales funnel, as its(the) name goes(implies), has a wide opening at one end and a narrow opening at the other end. "
    Is there anything wrong with the sentence? I am not sure about the sentence in(on) the whole, and whether the phrase "as its name goes" means that the name of the item could clarify(explain) its own characteristics.

The sentence looks fine to me.

Emily, 'sales funnel' is a subject+verb phrase, not an adjective+noun phrase. It expresses an action, not a thing. In other words, 'has a wide opening...' doesn't work. That verb phrase describes a noun, not an action.

? Sales funnel, as its name goes, has a wide opening at one end and a narrow opening at the other end.

Noun: A funnel has a wide opening ...

Try, as its name states.

• Member Info
      • Native Language:
      • Chinese
      • Home Country:
      • Malaysia
      • Current Location:
      • Malaysia

Funnel(from dictionary.com):
    A conical utensil having a small hole or narrow tube at the apex and used to channel the flow of a substance, as into a small-mouthed container.

sales(adjective) funnel (noun) seems like a metaphorical term. The meaning is implied from funnel.

I still feel the sentence is correct.

I see. It's a diagram. So, "A/The sales funnel", not 'Sales funnel'. Gotcha. Thanks ted.