Member Type
Teacher (Other)
Native Language
Polish
Home Country
Poland
Current Location
Poland
Hi everybody, it's my first post, I hope not the last one. Careful analyses of YouTube videos have become my favorite way of practicing English, and the linguistic sample I am working on right now can be found at https://youtu.be/3vMC3TPuOOo . I like it extremely, because it is not very easy to comprehend, as the speaker speaks quickly and sometimes uses kind of slang expressions. So now, here is my request for help: it seems to me that at around 19:00 I can hear: "who 's going to say that your local sponge, so he gets up in the morning, goes...". Am I right? Does this application of 'so' (apparently in lieu of 'when') make any sense? May I address myself to you with some other similar doubts raised by this fascinating lecture?

Tdol

No Longer With Us (RIP)
Staff member
Native Language
British English
Home Country
UK
Current Location
Japan
Instead of so he gets, I think it is that gets. However, it isn't very clear.

PS Ask away.

GoesStation

No Longer With Us (RIP)
Member Type
Interested in Language
Native Language
American English
Home Country
United States
Current Location
United States
At the beginning of a phrase, so is quite often used as an introductory vocal tic that doesn't really add meaning. It's as if the speaker feels the need to say "I'm beginning to respond now," replacing that long phrase with the economical so.

Tdol

No Longer With Us (RIP)
Staff member
Native Language
British English
Home Country
UK
Current Location
Japan
I've played it again and still don't here so in that phrase.

midar

Member Type
Teacher (Other)
Native Language
Polish
Home Country
Poland
Current Location
Poland
Well, to be honest, I cannot hear "so" either, but I can hear a very short sound, something that supposedly could be a distorted "so". That was my hypothesis. However, I admit that "that" seems to make more sense here, than "so". And please, remember I am a foreigner, so my ears are not very reliable when it comes to English (although i tried to listen to it in a slowed down version, using 50% speed mode at YouTube and a few more options in Audacity software). That is why I am here :) So many thanks again, for the hint :)
I am really going to return to that lecture after some time, as I have many more doubts about it, however, as it seems to be more urgent for me now, I have a similar request related to a different YouTube video. Could you Tdol, or any user of this forum be so kind to watch a part of this: https://youtu.be/okJjWG__Cyw ? Specifically, I mean 5:26. What main obstacle is the narrator talking about? Is it some kind of hormin? hormine? or horming? And what should it mean here, particularly when it has something to do with blood veins in a body or water pipes in a building? Many thanks for any suggestions, greetings, Midar

Last edited:

Tdol

No Longer With Us (RIP)
Staff member
Native Language
British English
Home Country
UK
Current Location
Japan
He says plumbing, which makes sense of the water pipes and blood vessels. I did have to listen twice- the first time I heard something similar to you.

midar

Member Type
Teacher (Other)
Native Language
Polish
Home Country
Poland
Current Location
Poland
Many thanks! It is wonderful I can get here a competent response and so rapidly! :) Arigatou gozaimashita :)

tzfujimino

Key Member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
Japanese
Home Country
Japan
Current Location
Japan
I've found a Japanese expression here.
:):up:

Tdol

No Longer With Us (RIP)
Staff member
Native Language
British English
Home Country
UK
Current Location
Japan
He may have seen that I am currently located in Japan, though I will be leaving next week. :up:

midar

Member Type
Teacher (Other)
Native Language
Polish
Home Country
Poland
Current Location
Poland
Yes, I've seen this. And I assumed that visiting Japan inevitably results in taking a fancy to this country.
Greetings and have a safe trip home! :) ,
Midar

Last edited:

midar

Member Type
Teacher (Other)
Native Language
Polish
Home Country
Poland
Current Location
Poland
Oh, it seems my previous message has vanished. Should such comments be considered a violation of any rules here?

Last edited:

emsr2d2

Staff member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
British English
Home Country
UK
Current Location
UK
There are no deleted posts in this thread so I see no evidence that anything you wrote has been deleted. What did it say?

midar

Member Type
Teacher (Other)
Native Language
Polish
Home Country
Poland
Current Location
Poland
No, sorry. There was a moment when I could not see the last but one message (excluding this one), but it is somehow visible again. Sorry for the unnecessary complaint/alarm/inquiry/remark;-)

Tdol

No Longer With Us (RIP)
Staff member
Native Language
British English
Home Country
UK
Current Location
Japan
Posts from newcomers go through moderation, particularly when they contain links. It's a defence mechanism to reduce advertising and spam. When someone has posted ten times, their posts with links will appear without moderation.

Charlie Bernstein

VIP Member
Member Type
Other
Native Language
English
Home Country
United States
Current Location
United States
You're very close. He's speaking informally, using standard American English. He says: "Who's going to say that your local sponge gets up in the morning and goes, you know, should I. . . ."?

Status
Not open for further replies.