Student or Learner
Native Language
Urdu
Home Country
Pakistan
Current Location
Pakistan
Hi,

Can you please point out my mistakes in the following paragraph?

Man and woman are the part of the same society. In fact they together make the society. Man and woman are like the two wheels of the same vehicle. Unless there is a balance between them, no society can be valuable and they can’t achieve the goal of
their life.

emsr2d2

Staff member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
British English
Home Country
UK
Current Location
UK
Each time you've used "man and woman", "men and women" would be better.
Remove "the" from between "are" and "part" in your first sentence.
You need a comma after "In fact".
Swap "they" and "together".
I don't know what your final sentence means. Can you try to explain it in a different way?

Tarheel

VIP Member
Member Type
Interested in Language
Native Language
American English
Home Country
United States
Current Location
United States
Perhaps:

Men and women together make up society. They are like the two wheels of a bicycle. A bike needs both wheels in order to function.

Untaught88

Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Urdu
Home Country
Pakistan
Current Location
Pakistan
@emsr2d2

Please tell me when I should not use 'man and woman' to avoid making a mistake next time. I have seen some examples of 'man' in Cambridge dictionaries.

Untaught88

Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Urdu
Home Country
Pakistan
Current Location
Pakistan
Can you please give me the answer.

emsr2d2

Staff member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
British English
Home Country
UK
Current Location
UK
"Man" is sometimes used to refer to the entire human race. However, "man and woman" is not used in the same way. In your context, I would use "men and women" to mean "All men and women" or "All people".

Tarheel

VIP Member
Member Type
Interested in Language
Native Language
American English
Home Country
United States
Current Location
United States
Men and women have some things in common, but they are different in some important ways.

Tarheel

VIP Member
Member Type
Interested in Language
Native Language
American English
Home Country
United States
Current Location
United States
There are ways in which men and women are the same and ways in which they are different.

Untaught88

Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Urdu
Home Country
Pakistan
Current Location
Pakistan
Should I use "a" after removing "the"?
Please check it now.

Men and women are a part of the same society. In fact, they together make up the society. Men and women are like the two wheels of the same vehicle. Unless there is a balance between them, no society can be valuable and people can’t achieve the goal of their lives.

emsr2d2

Staff member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
British English
Home Country
UK
Current Location
UK
Should I use "a" after removing "the"?
No. I simply said "Omit 'the'". If I had meant for you to replace it with "a", I would have said so.

Please check it now.

Men and women are [STRIKE]a[/STRIKE] part of the same society. In fact, together they [STRIKE]together[/STRIKE] make up [STRIKE]the[/STRIKE] society. Men and women are like the two wheels of [STRIKE]the same vehicle.[/STRIKE] a bicycle. Unless there is a balance between them, [STRIKE]no[/STRIKE] society can't be valuable and people can’t achieve [STRIKE]the goal of their lives[/STRIKE] their life goals.

See above. I've left the general style of your sentences even though they're not particularly natural. If you want to specify a vehicle with two wheels, then just say that it's a bicycle. If you say "vehicle", most people think of a car, which has four wheels. Talking about only two of the wheels will leave people wondering what the other two wheels are!

I'm not sure what you mean about "society" being "valuable".

Go back and read post #3 again. Tarheel gave you a neat and concise version of your piece.

Tarheel

VIP Member
Member Type
Interested in Language
Native Language
American English
Home Country
United States
Current Location
United States
The word "valuable" just doesn't fit here. Things are more or less valuable to the extent that they are useful to us. Society simply is.

Raymott

VIP Member
Member Type
Academic
Native Language
English
Home Country
Australia
Current Location
Australia
There are ways in which men and women are the same and ways in which they are different.
There's at least one person in Australia who has court permission not to be referred to by either sex. It probably won't be the last. Maybe "All sexes" would be better?

Tarheel

VIP Member
Member Type
Interested in Language
Native Language
American English
Home Country
United States
Current Location
United States
If I am neither a man nor a woman what am I?

Raymott

VIP Member
Member Type
Academic
Native Language
English
Home Country
Australia
Current Location
Australia
If I am neither a man nor a woman what am I?
I guess you're a person, a human being, a person of no legal sex. I don't know the pronouns it prefers, or the public toilets it uses. They're about the only reasons it would matter. I'll see if I can find anything further.

PS: The story is a few years old now. I can't remember the name.

Last edited:

Tarheel

VIP Member
Member Type
Interested in Language
Native Language
American English
Home Country
United States
Current Location
United States
Some court could decide to repeal the law of gravity. That wouldn't make it happen.

emsr2d2

Staff member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
British English
Home Country
UK
Current Location
UK
The issue of gender neutrality is a hot topic at the moment in many countries. I think it's quite likely that in my lifetime, more and more forms will give three or more choices for sex (gender).
For now, few people would take issue with the OP's piece opening with "Men and women". However, it would be just as acceptable to open with "People". That covers everyone. I don't think anyone has yet tried to stop themselves being described as a person.

Status
Not open for further replies.