• Member Info
      • Native Language:
      • Korean
      • Home Country:
      • South Korea
      • Current Location:
      • South Korea

something clicks for someone

When my daughter, Isabella, was five years old, we were living in Washington, D.C. One day, we were volunteering at Children of Mine, a center for children in need. The day before, we had celebrated her fifth birthday with a cake, presents, balloons, and a birthday party. By chance, at the center that day there was a little girl also having her fifth birthday. Her entire birthday celebration consisted of a chocolate chip cookie with a candle. I remember watching my daughter from across the room, her eyes welling with tears. Something clicked for her, something that I could not have taught her. When we returned home, Isabella rushed to her room, collected all the presents she had got for her birthday, and told me that she wanted to take them to the little girl. No

Does "something clicks for someone" mean "someone realized something or something got evident"?

• Member Info
      • Native Language:
      • English
      • Home Country:
      • England
      • Current Location:
      • England

Re: something clicks for someone

Yes.

• Member Info
      • Native Language:
      • British English
      • Home Country:
      • England
      • Current Location:
      • Ireland

Quote Originally Posted by keannu View Post
    When my daughter, Isabella, was five years old, we were living in Washington, D.C. One day, we were volunteering at Children of Mine, a center for children in need. The day before, we had celebrated her fifth birthday with a cake, presents, balloons, and a birthday party. By chance, at the center that day there was a little girl also having her fifth birthday. Her entire birthday celebration consisted of a chocolate chip cookie with a candle. I remember watching my daughter from across the room, her eyes welling with tears. Something clicked for her, something that I could not have taught her. When we returned home, Isabella rushed to her room, collected all the presents she had got for her birthday, and told me that she wanted to take them to the little girl. No

Does "something clicks for someone" mean "someone realized something or something became evident"?
    "got" in that place is very poor English.
    “Every miserable fool who has nothing at all of which he can be proud, adopts as a last resource pride in the nation to which he belongs; he is ready and happy to defend all its faults and follies tooth and nail, thus reimbursing himself for his own inferiority.”

— Arthur Schopenhauer

• Member Info
      • Native Language:
      • Korean
      • Home Country:
      • South Korea
      • Current Location:
      • South Korea

Could you tell me why?

• Member Info
      • Native Language:
      • English
      • Home Country:
      • Australia
      • Current Location:
      • Australia

Because "became" cannot always be rendered as "got"; probably in most cases it can't.
    "She became my wife - she got my wife." No.
    "He became a doctor- he got a doctor." No.
    "The reason became clear - the reason got clear." No.

If you mean "become", I suggest you don't use "get" unless you know it works.