Interested in Language
Native Language
Polish
Home Country
Poland
Current Location
Poland
Hello everybody!

He keeps an eye on the following work: preparing the dock for a floating vessel to enter, checking all docking devices for proper functioning, securing cranes, getting working equipment ready and keeping the dock tidy.

I would like to say that one of the duties of the dockmaster is to prepare the dock to which a vessel can enter?

Does "preparing the dock for a floating vessel to enter" convey the thought?

Thank you.

Last edited by a moderator:

GoesStation

No Longer With Us (RIP)
Member Type
Interested in Language
Native Language
American English
Home Country
United States
Current Location
United States
I had intended to mention this before, but I got sidetracked. In most of your recent posts, 'vessel' is sufficient. you don't need 'floating'.

I was going to suggest that, too, but then I thought that maybe the port also has vessels in drydock. Those would be non-floating vessels.

tedmc

VIP Member
Member Type
Interested in Language
Native Language
Chinese
Home Country
Malaysia
Current Location
Malaysia
He is responsible for the work, not just "keep an eye".
He gets the dock ready to receive vessels.

J

J&K Tutoring

1. I suggest: He supervises the following work:

2. "...checking all docking devices..." There are devises on a dock not specific to docking, such as cranes, conveyors, fueling equipment, etc. which might fall under the supervision of the Dockmaster. I suggest you refer to dock devises.

3. Dockmaster is a job title- a proper noun- so should be capitalized.

4. Vessels do not enter to a dock, they enter a dock. Your sentence should read: "... prepare the dock which a vessel can enter"

5. But that sounds as if he waits until a ship shows up to get busy, so: (better) 'prepare the dock for entry' (if there is only one dock) (still a bit retroactive) OR (best) 'keep the dock ready to receive vessels at all times'.

Last edited:

JACEK1

Key Member
Member Type
Interested in Language
Native Language
Polish
Home Country
Poland
Current Location
Poland
It was so stupid of me to make such a mistake. I know that the verb "enter" means "go into" and is not followed by the preposition "to".

I wrote as you suggested but I would like to know if there is something wrong with using "preparing the dock for a floating vessel to enter".

In my opinion, "preparing the dock for a floating vessel to enter" means the same as "preparing the dock which/that a vessel can enter".

I think it is the same pattern as "I need someone to talk to" = "I need someone to whom I could/can talk".

The infinitive structures are fantastic because they are so simple while conveying so much information.

Please tell me what you think of my opinion.

Thank you.

Last edited by a moderator:
Status
Not open for further replies.