Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Russian
Home Country
Russian Federation
Current Location
Russian Federation
1) If he hadn't enrolled at university, he couldn't have avoided being drafted. (he would have been drafted, I guess?) :-?

2) The police wouldn't be anxious if several thousand counterfeit bank-notes were not in circulation.

3) If he had provided more convincing arguments, he would have proved his truth. (proved right, I guess?)
4) He wouldn't have run for president if he hadn't thought that he could do good to the state. (I mean that he'd be beneficial somehow for the state)

5) If the ban on selling ivory hadn't been imposed, all elephants would have been annihilated. (It sounds weird to me. I think the tenses are not correct)

6) It would be more pleasant to talk to him if he didn't impose his own views on everyone. (it's too verbose in my opinion)

7) The paper circulation wouldn't have fallen if the price hadn't been raised by 45 pennies.

I wrote these sentence on my own but I'm not sure whether they are OK. They do sound appalingly bad to my non-native speaker's ears. What would you say?

The most confusing and awkward moments I put in bold.

I'm sorry for asking several question in the same topic but it wouldn't be convinient if I started 7 separate threads:roll:

Thanks in advance.

Last edited:

Boris Tatarenko

Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Russian
Home Country
Russian Federation
Current Location
Russian Federation
Are you saying I should start 7 topics :cry:? Sounds sad!

bhaisahab

Staff member
Member Type
Retired English Teacher
Native Language
British English
Home Country
England
Current Location
Ireland

Boris Tatarenko

Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Russian
Home Country
Russian Federation
Current Location
Russian Federation
I'm afraid of flooding the forum with questions. :-D

emsr2d2

Staff member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
British English
Home Country
UK
Current Location
UK
Yes, we recommend starting seven different threads. However, in order to avoid flooding the forum, you should ask one question, wait for several responses and then ask your next question.

Status
Not open for further replies.