Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Persian
Home Country
Iran
Current Location
Iran
Hi, I cannot understand the right answer of the following question of the following reading. Would you please help. Thanks a lot.

Reading:
“Masterpieces are dumb,” wrote Flaubert, “They have a tranquil aspect like the very products of nature, like large animals and mountains.” He might have been thinking of War and Peace, that vast, silent work, unfathomable and simple, provoking endless questions through the majesty of its being. Tolstoi‟s simplicity is “overpowering,” says the critic Bayley, “disconcerting,” because it comes from “his casual assumption that the world is as he sees it.” Like other nineteenth-century Russian writers he is “impressive” because he “means what he says,” but he stands apart from all others and from most Western writers in his identity with life, which is so complete as to make us forget he is an artist. He is the center of his work, but his egocentricity is of a special kind. Goethe, for example, says Bayley, “cared for nothing but himself. Tolstoi was nothing but himself.”

Question:

The author quotes from Bayley (line 8-20) to show that
(A) although Tolstoi observes and interprets life, he maintains no self-conscious distance from his experience
(B) the realism of Tolstoi‟s work gives the illusion that his novels are reports of actual events
(C) unfortunately, Tolstoi is unaware of his own limitation, though he is sincere in his attempt to describe experience
(D) although Tolstoi works casually and makes unwarranted assumption, his work has an inexplicable appearance of truth
(E) Tolstoi‟s personal perspective makes his work almost unintelligible to the majority of his readers

Answer:
Book said A is correct. I think that B is correct because the author quotes from Bayley to repudiate Flaubert's idea that wrote "Masterpieces have a tranquil aspect like the very products of nature." So, the author want to show that realism is all over the work and it is why Flaubert has thought that the novel is reports of actual events. So, B is correct.
A is not correct, because the author quotes from Bayley to repudiate Flaubert's idea. A does not speak about rejection of repudiate Flaubert's idea and only speak about Bayley's.

bhaisahab

Staff member
Member Type
Retired English Teacher
Native Language
British English
Home Country
England
Current Location
Ireland
A is correct.

Boris Tatarenko

Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Russian
Home Country
Russian Federation
Current Location
Russian Federation
Just out of curiosity, where did you find this exercise?

tesoke

Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Persian
Home Country
Iran
Current Location
Iran
It is from Big Book which is one of the books which I have to study to prepare for GRE exam.

Thank you bhaisahab, but I need more explanation please. Why my options and its explanation is wrong?

emsr2d2

Staff member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
British English
Home Country
UK
Current Location
UK
It is from Big Book which is one of the books which I have to study to prepare for the GRE exam.

Thank you bhaisahab, but I need more explanation please. Why are my options and [STRIKE]its[/STRIKE] explanations [STRIKE]is[/STRIKE] wrong?

Note my corrections above.

I have searched Google for an English language book called "Big Book" but I have had no success. Please give us the full title and the author.

tesoke

Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Persian
Home Country
Iran
Current Location
Iran
Thank you. I got this book of my friends and they said its name is so. I do not know if this is its real name or not.

Sorry Piscean, what is your idea about the support that I thought is understandable from the passage:

I think that B is correct because the author quotes from Bayley to repudiate Flaubert's idea that wrote "Masterpieces have a tranquil aspect like the very products of nature." So, the author want to show that realism is all over the work and it is why Flaubert has thought that the novel is reports of actual events. So, B is correct.

Status
Not open for further replies.