Member Type
Interested in Language
Native Language
Chinese
Home Country
Canada
Current Location
Canada
Recently I came across some interesting sentences or phrases in which the adjectives have seemingly been used (incorrectly) as adverbs as in:

1. “He who travels happy must travel light.”
2. “Check in, carry on and travel happy.” (This appeared as a title in a local daily newspaper.)
3. “Use XYZ air freshener and breathe happy.”(Exact wording modified. This is seen in a local TV ad.)

I believe these are either incorrect grammatically or should be considered as colloquial or informal English as I can’t see the verbs used in each case being linking ones.

I think the first example could be rephrased to achieve the same meaning: He who travels lightly or with light luggage is a happy one.

Comments:?: :-?

tedmc

VIP Member
Member Type
Interested in Language
Native Language
Chinese
Home Country
Malaysia
Current Location
Malaysia
I think the original sounds more natural and catchy than your version. I believe there is a trend towards using adjectives in place of adverbs and is gaining acceptance.

Last edited:

Rover_KE

Staff member
Member Type
Retired English Teacher
Native Language
British English
Home Country
England
Current Location
England
'To travel light' is a special case. The word 'light' in this fixed expression is a genuine adverb in its own right.

light

adv.

without much or extra baggage: He prefers to travel light, with just a backpack.
(Random House)

TheParser

VIP Member
Member Type
Other
Native Language
English
Home Country
United States
Current Location
United States
***** NOT A TEACHER *****

Hello, Ima:

I just thought that you would like this comment from one scholar.

"The army was to travel as lightly as possible."

The scholar opines:

"Lightness belongs to the army, not to the manner of traveling; let it travel light."

Source: Wilson Follett, Modern American Usage (1980), page 51.

Matthew Wai

VIP Member
Member Type
Native Language
Chinese
Home Country
China
Current Location
China
I think 'to think positive' is another example where an adjective is used in place of an adverb.

lma1

Member Type
Interested in Language
Native Language
Chinese
Home Country
Canada
Current Location
Canada
Thank you Rover_KE for pointing out the fact that light is an adverb and is used as such in the example I cited. I shouldn't have included that word in my query.

I also wish to thank Parser for providing the example & its reference.

Matthew, I rather see “to think positively“ than “to think positive.” Love to hear others on this. How about the imperative please travel safe? Do we accept that as grammatical sentence?

Catchy aside, tedmc, is that a reason to forgo correct English usage!? I do, however, agree that “there is a trend towards using adjectives in place of adverbs and is gaining acceptance.”

tedmc

VIP Member
Member Type
Interested in Language
Native Language
Chinese
Home Country
Malaysia
Current Location
Malaysia
I would say "think positive" is much more common than "think positively". It is not so much an attempt not to follow rules of grammar, but people generally prefer to use popular catchphrases. There are many other examples - play safe, work smart, act tough, talk big, dream big.

Matthew Wai

VIP Member
Member Type
Native Language
Chinese
Home Country
China
Current Location
China
Matthew, I rather see “to think positively“ than “to think positive.” Love to hear others on this. How about the imperative please travel safe? Do we accept that as grammatical sentence?
If many native speakers say it, I would simply consider it idiomatic irrespective of whether it is grammatical.

TheParser

VIP Member
Member Type
Other
Native Language
English
Home Country
United States
Current Location
United States
***** NOT A TEACHER *****

I wanted to share this information with anyone interested in this topic.

Apple's motto is "Think Different."

Here is why Steve Jobs chose "different."

"If 'different' was supposed to modify the verb 'think,' it should be an adverb, as in 'think differently.' But [Mr.] Jobs insisted that he wanted 'different' to be used as a noun [my emphasis], as in 'think victory' or 'think beauty.' Also, it echoed colloquial use, as in 'think big.' "

Mr. Jobs said, " 'Think differently' wouldn't hit the meaning for me."

Credit for this information goes to The New Yorker magazine (November 14, 2011).

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.