1. Staff

resignation letter

I have written a resignation letter which I plan to hand in to my superior very soon. I need help to see whether there are grammatical mistakes.I used some "funny words" in my letter but I want to retain these "funny words". The content of my letter is as follows .

With reference to our discussion about my resignation as an administrative officer, I would like to inform you that due to some axiomatic and unforeseen circumstances, I will only tender my resignation on 30th August 2006 not at the end of June 2006 as we discussed earlier. Please accept apologies.

I would like to inform you that this letter serves to confirm and affirm my decision to resign on the date stated above.

Finally, let me take this opportunity to express my sincere thanks to you as well as to the management of the company for giving me the utmost opportunitry to work in this truly international environment where the potpourri of exotic culture and tradition is extremely marvelous and awesome.

Thank you.

Re: resignation letter

Quote Originally Posted by Staff
    I have written a resignation letter which I plan to hand in to my superior very soon. I need help to see whether there are grammatical mistakes.I used some "funny words" in my letter but I want to retain these "funny words". The content of my letter is as follows .
    With reference to our discussion about my resignation as an administrative officer, I would like to inform you that due to some axiomatic and unforeseen circumstances, I will only tender my resignation on 30th August 2006 not at the end of June 2006 as we discussed earlier. Please accept apologies.
    I would like to inform you that this letter serves to confirm and affirm my decision to resign on the date stated above.
    Finally, let me take this opportunity to express my sincere thanks to you as well as to the management of the company for giving me the utmost opportunitry to work in this truly international environment where the potpourri of exotic culture and tradition is extremely marvelous and awesome.
    Thank you.
    "With reference to our discussion about my resignation as an administrative officer, I would like to inform you that, due to unforeseen circumstances, I intend to tender my resignation with effect from 30th August 2006 rather than the end of June 2006, as we discussed earlier. Please accept my apologies."

1) 'Some' is unnecessary, and sounds stilted.
    2) 'Axiomatic' is inappropriate in this context - it doesn't convey any meaning to me.
    3) 'Only' is superfluous - again, it sounds stilted.
    4) "I intend to" sounds better than "I will", which conveys an aggressive attitude.
    5) Your resignation is 'with effect from' 30th August 2006 - you are 'tendering it' now.
    6) 'Rather than' is preferable to 'not at' - you are contrasting the two dates.
    7) It is 'my apologies', not 'apologies' in general.

"I would like to inform you that this letter serves to confirm my decision to resign on the date stated above."

8) You are 'confirming' your decision - that is, your 'affirmative' decision is 'confirmed' WITH the letter ('con' means 'with'). You do not 'confirm' and 'affirm' at the same time.

"Finally, allow me to express my sincere thanks to you personally, as well as to the management of the company, for giving me the opportunity to work in this truly international environment, with its marvellous mixture of exotic culture and tradition."

9) Try not to use the same phrase twice in close proximity. Use 'allow me' as an alternative to the later 'giving me the opportunity'.

10) Add 'personally' to emphasise the contrast between the person and the company.

11) 'Utmost' is unnecessary and stilted.

12) You say you want to keep the "funny words". I strongly advise you not to do so. "Potpourri" simply sounds silly in this context - it means 'mixture', so say 'mixture'.

13) Do not go overboard with superlatives. You do not need both 'marvellous' and 'awesome'. In fact, I wouldn't use either, but 'marvellous' is the least worst.