• Member Info
      • Native Language:
      • Chinese
      • Home Country:
      • Singapore
      • Current Location:
      • Singapore

Is it common to greet good afternoon and good evening?

It is very common to say "good morning". (e.g. good morning, can I speak to Peter?) (good morning, can I help you)(good morning (to greet someone as a form of saying hello))

Is it common to say good afternoon and good evening? (e.g. good afternoon/evening, can I speak to Peter?) (good afternoon/evening, can I help you) (good afternoon/evening (to greet someone as a form of saying hello))

It seems like I do not hear much good afternoon/evening.

• Member Info
      • Native Language:
      • British English
      • Home Country:
      • UK
      • Current Location:
      • UK

Re: Is it common to greet good afternoon and good evening?

Depending on the time of day that you are making the phone call (I assume it's a phone call due to "Can I speak to Peter?"), you can use "Good morning/afternoon/evening" as appropriate.
    I find them rather formal but I don't make formal business phone calls. I just start with "Hello" or "Hi".
    Remember - if you don't use correct capitalisation, punctuation and spacing, anything you write will be incorrect.

• Member Info
      • Native Language:
      • English
      • Home Country:
      • Iraq
      • Current Location:
      • Iraq

The title should have been, "Is it common to greet people with "good morning" and "good evening?"

• Member Info
      • Native Language:
      • Chinese
      • Home Country:
      • Singapore
      • Current Location:
      • Singapore

Quote Originally Posted by emsr2d2 View Post
    Depending on the time of day that you are making the phone call (I assume it's a phone call due to "Can I speak to Peter?"), you can use "Good morning/afternoon/evening" as appropriate.
    I find them rather formal but I don't make formal business phone calls. I just start with "Hello" or "Hi".
    I usually start with Hello or Hi too. I guess in the morning I hear more "good morning" or "morning" as a replacement of saying hello when people meet each other in office. In the afternoon I usually only hear "hello" instead of "good afternoon" as a greeting when people meet each other in office.

• Member Info
      • Native Language:
      • British English
      • Home Country:
      • UK
      • Current Location:
      • UK

Quote Originally Posted by goodstudent View Post
    I usually start with "Hello" or "Hi" too. I guess in the morning I hear more "Good morning" or "Morning" as a replacement of for saying "Hello" when people meet each other in the office. In the afternoon, I usually only hear "Hello" instead of "Good afternoon" as a greeting when people meet each other in the office.
    Note my amendments above. I think you're probably right that people use "Good morning" more often than "Good afternoon/evening". The chances are that if they're working together in an office, they probably see each other for the first time in the morning so that's the time of day that they might us a more formal greeting. If they bump into each other again later in the day, it would be more natural to just use "Hello" or "Hi".
    Remember - if you don't use correct capitalisation, punctuation and spacing, anything you write will be incorrect.

• Member Info
      • Native Language:
      • Chinese
      • Home Country:
      • Singapore
      • Current Location:
      • Singapore

Quote Originally Posted by emsr2d2 View Post
    Note my amendments above. I think you're probably right that people use "Good morning" more often than "Good afternoon/evening". The chances are that if they're working together in an office, they probably see each other for the first time in the morning so that's the time of day that they might us a more formal greeting. If they bump into each other again later in the day, it would be more natural to just use "Hello" or "Hi".
    Is it a must to capitalise the first letter of the first word if it is inside a quote " " ?

• Member Info
      • Native Language:
      • British English
      • Home Country:
      • UK
      • Current Location:
      • UK

If you are quoting an entire sentence, yes. If you are quoting a single word that does not constitute an entire sentence, no.

I think more people say "Good morning" than "Good afternoon" these days. ("Good morning" and "Good afternoon" are entire sentences so they should start with a capital letter.)
    I think more people say "very" than "extremely" these days. (The two words in quotes do not constitute entire sentences. They are just standalone single words which are being mentioned.)