• Member Info
      • Native Language:
      • Persian
      • Home Country:
      • Iran
      • Current Location:
      • Iran

The primary purpose of the passage is to ...?

Hi, I cannot understand the right answer of the following questions of the following reading. I discussed my answers and the true answers and hope to get help. Would you please help? Thanks a lot.

Reading:

Feelings of hopelessness among medieval workers trapped in the poverty cycle gradually lessened as it became possible for women‟s labor to supplement a family‟s money income by more than pennies. By 1300, women spinners could be found working
    on their own for wealthy sponsors, even after the introduction in Italy and France of prohibition against advancing money for supplies to women spinners. Historians have usually interpreted this prohibition simply as evidence of women‟s economic subjection, since it obliged them to turn to usurers; however, it was also almost certainly a response to a trend toward differential reward for women‟s higher skill. Yarn can be spun irregularly and lumpily, but perfectly smooth yarn is worth more. Working for merchant entrepreneurs on time rates, women had been paid hardly more than children; working as entrepreneurs themselves and producing good work by the piece, they could break into the rational system of differential rewards.

23. The primary purpose of the passage is to

(A) propose and defend a theory about the consequences of a certain historical event
    (B) present historical facts and offer a broader interpretation of those facts than has been offered in the past
    (C) describe the socioeconomic effects of a widely held attitude during a particular historical period
    (D) demonstrate the superiority of using an economic approach to historical analysis
    (E) call attention to the influence of the textile industry on society during a particular historical period

Answer:
    B is correct and I opted it too, but I doubt if I analyze other options correctly or not.
    A is wrong, because the author propose a theory about the cause (and not consequences) one prohibition. He proposes: "
    it was also almost certainly a response to a trend toward differential reward for women‟s higher skill."
    B is correct because the author interprets the mentioned prohibition more that past.
    C is wrong because the author does not speak about attitude, he speaks about laws and their effects. Moreover, he does not describe the socioeconomic effects, he only describes economical effects.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

25. The passage implies which of the following about women spinners in medieval Europe?
    (A) Most of them worked independently for wealthy sponsors.
    (B) They were not typical of medieval women entrepreneurs.
    (C) Some of them were paid for their work after it was done, according to its value.
    (D) They would have been able to contribute substantial amounts to their families incomes were it not for the prohibition against advancing money to them.

(E) They were inevitably disadvantaged in the marketplace because they were obliged to obtain money for their supplies from usurers.

Answer:
    C is correct, but I opted E. I think C is wrong because it speaks of "some of them" while the it implies from reading that paying after work was a whole method, so "all of them" is correct.
    Last edited by tesoke; 23-Feb-2016 at 05:35.

• Member Info
      • Native Language:
      • American English
      • Home Country:
      • United States
      • Current Location:
      • United States

Re: The primary purpose of the passage is to ...?

I can't read most of your message because of the font. In the first part, you wrote I discussed my answers and the true answers.... You should write "correct" rather than ​true.
    I am not a teacher.

• Member Info
      • Native Language:
      • Russian
      • Home Country:
      • Ukraine
      • Current Location:
      • United States

25C is correct because "By 1300, women spinners could be found working on their own for wealthy sponsors..."

Women that "could be found": this already implies that only some of them were in that state. If every single woman worked like that, you wouldn't say they "could be found".

25E is incorrect because the passage doesn't really make any claims about how those women were competitive in the marketplace. What it actually implies is that because more skillful spinners were getting an advantage, the prohibition was instituted to level the playing field -- not necessarily between men and women, but more likely between women and other (less skillful) women.

• Member Info
      • Native Language:
      • American English
      • Home Country:
      • United States
      • Current Location:
      • United States

Instead of saying you opted a certain answer, say you chose that answer.

You can't say economic effects are not socioeconomic effects. You can't separate economics from society.

• Member Info
      • Native Language:
      • English
      • Home Country:
      • England
      • Current Location:
      • England

firewell, please read this extract from the forum guidelines:

You are welcome to answer questions posted in the Ask a Teacher forum as long as your suggestions, help, and advice reflect a good understanding of the English language. If you are not a teacher, you will need to state that clearly in your post.

• Member Info
      • Native Language:
      • American English
      • Home Country:
      • United States
      • Current Location:
      • United States

Why should a person bother to raise their skill level if they are going to be paid the same as someone who is less skilled?

• Member Info
      • Native Language:
      • British English
      • Home Country:
      • Czech Republic
      • Current Location:
      • Czech Republic

There is no suggestion that they did. Working as entrpreneurs they could be paid more for skilled work