What is the difference between withhold & forfeit?

Status
Not open for further replies.

yslamac

Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Chinese
Home Country
Hong Kong
Current Location
Hong Kong
For instance, can both be used at here: "Please note that your incentive may be withheld / forfeited if you do not perform the above update before the deadline"? Many thanks!:)

Rover_KE

Staff member
Member Type
Retired English Teacher
Native Language
British English
Home Country
England
Current Location
England
In that passive sentence there's no difference. In the active usage you would forfeit the incentive; somebody else would withhold it.

GoesStation

No Longer With Us (RIP)
Member Type
Interested in Language
Native Language
American English
Home Country
United States
Current Location
United States
I do see a difference in the passive sentence. Forfeited is permanent; withheld​ is temporary.

Roman55

Key Member
Member Type
Interested in Language
Native Language
British English
Home Country
Italy
Current Location
France
My first impulse, when reading the question, was to talk about a nuance of meaning between forfeit and withhold, but the logic of the context doesn't really allow for it.

If the 'incentive may be withheld if you do not perform the above update before the deadline' then I wouldn't expect it to be given at a later date.

GoesStation

No Longer With Us (RIP)
Member Type
Interested in Language
Native Language
American English
Home Country
United States
Current Location
United States
My first impulse, when reading the question, was to talk about a nuance of meaning between forfeit and withhold, but the logic of the context doesn't really allow for it.

If the 'incentive may be withheld if you do not perform the above update before the deadline' then I wouldn't expect it to be given at a later date.

On reflection, I agree. In the US, wages are paid with approximate taxes withheld. Every American who has ever held a job is familiar with that term, and large numbers of tax filers are later at least partially reimbursed when they claim a refund. Hence, the word withhold tends to have an association with later reimbursement in this American's mind. :)

Raymott

VIP Member
Member Type
Academic
Native Language
English
Home Country
Australia
Current Location
Australia
In that passive sentence there's no difference. In the active usage you would forfeit the incentive; somebody else would withhold it.
I think this is the closest meaning. But there's still a difference in the passive: the incentive is withheld by the boss, and forfeited by the employee. The words are opposites. If you withhold, you keep something back; if you forfeit, you give something away.

Matthew Wai

VIP Member
Member Type
Native Language
Chinese
Home Country
China
Current Location
China
Then would 'be forfeited' suggest that the listener already has the incentive, which may be taken away if ...?

Raymott

VIP Member
Member Type
Academic
Native Language
English
Home Country
Australia
Current Location
Australia
Then would 'be forfeited' suggest that the listener already has the incentive, which may be taken away if ...?
You have a right to the incentive. You give away the right to receive it under certain conditions.

Status
Not open for further replies.