• Native Language:
      • Czech
      • Home Country:
      • Czech Republic
      • Current Location:
      • Czech Republic

Leafy petticoats

Hello,

Am I to understand the little Cain had his little dress made of green acorn? I am not sure if I get the meaning right so can anybody help me with this one?

Their ancestry must have rooted itself here when the dinosaur and the tribes of the megatherium roamed earth's crust and the pterodactyl clashed through its twilight—thousands of centuries before the green acorn sprouted that was to afford little Cain in a fallen world his first leafy petticoats. I realized as if at a sigh why smiles the Sphinx; why the primary stars have blazed on in undiminishing midnight lustre during Man's brief history and his childish constellations have scarcely by a single inch of heaven changed in their apparent stations.

Walter de la Mare, The Vats, 1923

Thanks a lot.
    Not a Teacher

• Member Info
      • Native Language:
      • American English
      • Home Country:
      • United States
      • Current Location:
      • United States

Re: Leafy petticoats

Read the phrase as the acorn sprouted, and little Cain's petticoat would be made from leaves from the tree that was to grow from it.

You certainly enjoy challenging texts, Johnyxxx. I can guess your threads' author from the unusual phrases in their titles.
    I am not a teacher.

• Member Info
      • Native Language:
      • British English
      • Home Country:
      • UK
      • Current Location:
      • Laos

Re: Leafy petticoats

I guess it's just a poetic way of saying their roots go back way further than the mighty oak tree's, and Bible's, beginnings.