Interested in Language
Native Language
Czech
Home Country
Czech Republic
Current Location
Czech Republic
Hello,

I cannot make head or tail of what the bold text means; can anybody help me to understand?

Looking back on the heatless and rayless noonday of those Vats, I see, as I have said, the mere bodies of my friend and me, the upright bones of us, indescribably dwarfed by their antediluvian monstrosity. Yet within the lightless bellies of these sarcophagi were heaped up, we were utterly assured (though how, I know not) floods, beyond measure, of the waters for which our souls had pined. Waters, imaginably so clear as to be dense, as if of melted metal more translucent even than crystal; of such a tenuous purity that not even the moonlit branches of a dream would spell their reflex in them; so costly, so far beyond price, that this whole stony world's rubies and sapphires and amethysts of Mandalay and Guadalajara and Solikamsk, all the treasure-houses of Cambalech and the booty of King Tamburlane would suffice to purchase not one drop.

The Vats, Walter de la Mare, 1923

Thank you.

Last edited:

Johnyxxx

Member Type
Interested in Language
Native Language
Czech
Home Country
Czech Republic
Current Location
Czech Republic
I have thought about what this challenging text could mean and it seems to me that the writer probably wanted to say that the water was so pure that even the moonlit branches of a dream would not dare to recflect in it, would not dare to profane its purity by their reflection. Could it be so?

Last edited:

Tarheel

VIP Member
Member Type
Interested in Language
Native Language
American English
Home Country
United States
Current Location
United States
I think you need to read that while you're stoned on marijuana. Or at least you should drink a few beers first. I think your guess is as good as anybody's.

bhaisahab

Staff member
Member Type
Retired English Teacher
Native Language
British English
Home Country
England
Current Location
Ireland
Yes, I think you have it, Johnyxxx.

Last edited:

Johnyxxx

Member Type
Interested in Language
Native Language
Czech
Home Country
Czech Republic
Current Location
Czech Republic
I think you need to read that while you're stoned on marijuana. Or at least you should drink a few beers first.

As a matter of fact, I was drinking Pilsner Urquell while I was thinking what the text could mean. No joke, I mean it. :)

Tdol

No Longer With Us (RIP)
Staff member
Native Language
British English
Home Country
UK
Current Location
Japan
I think it might be suggesting that it would take magic to have a reflection even of a dream in something so pure, so maybe I need to see if they stock Urquell anywhere near here to make sure. It certainly sounds like a good way of checking things out. :up:

Status
Not open for further replies.