Student or Learner
Native Language
Russian
Home Country
Russian Federation
Current Location
Russian Federation
Hello!

Could you please explain to me, why don't we need an article before nouns in the following sentences:

1. What time did you finish _ work?

2. After you come back from _ holiday you feel yourself perfectly.

I think that work in this meaning is uncountable noun, so that's the reason. Correct me please, if I wrong.

Thank you!

GoesStation

No Longer With Us (RIP)
Member Type
Interested in Language
Native Language
American English
Home Country
United States
Current Location
United States
I can't think of a way to explain why there's no article in What time did you finish work?

Sentence 2 doesn't make sense. Do you mean something like After you come from __ holiday, you feel great? In American English, you'd need an indefinite article before holiday.

Boris Tatarenko

Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Russian
Home Country
Russian Federation
Current Location
Russian Federation
Actually, I can perfectly imagine a situation where the sentence "What time did/do you finish the work" is totally fine.

If my memory serves me correctly, it's just a common phrase, so you'd better keep it in my mind. Moreover, yes, you're right. the noun "work" is uncountable.
;-)

kilroy65

Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
Bulgarian
Home Country
Bulgaria
Current Location
Bulgaria
Sometimes, we don't use any article when we talk about things in general:

I don't want to work. Work is boring.
She's on holiday next week.
Dogs make the best pets.

kilroy65

Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
Bulgarian
Home Country
Bulgaria
Current Location
Bulgaria
Actually, I can perfectly imagine a situation where the sentence "What time did/do you finish the work" is totally fine.

If my memory serves me correctly, it's just a common phrase, so you'd better keep it in my mind. Moreover, yes, you're right. the noun "work" is uncountable.
;-)

Boris, I think "What time do you finish work" would be correct. Besides, "work" can also be countable in a different sense: "The works of Shakespeare are all great."

Boris Tatarenko

Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Russian
Home Country
Russian Federation
Current Location
Russian Federation
Boris, I think "What time do you finish work" would be correct. Besides, "work" can also be countable in a different sense: "The works of Shakespeare are all great."

My bad. I mean that the word "work" in the meaning we're discussing here is always uncountable. :-D

I should have expressed my thought clearly. :oops:

kilroy65

Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
Bulgarian
Home Country
Bulgaria
Current Location
Bulgaria
Yes, you're right. In the OP's example, it is an uncountable noun, as stated in post #4.

Tarheel

VIP Member
Member Type
Interested in Language
Native Language
American English
Home Country
United States
Current Location
United States
When we talk about "the works of Shakespeare" we are talking about his writings in total. We do not talk about one, two, or three works in that sense.

tedmc

VIP Member
Member Type
Interested in Language
Native Language
Chinese
Home Country
Malaysia
Current Location
Malaysia
As Tarheel said, the "works" of Shakespeare does not mean "work" is countable either.

Tarheel

VIP Member
Member Type
Interested in Language
Native Language
American English
Home Country
United States
Current Location
United States
I never thought I would I disagree with somebody about the concept of countable. Many things are countable. You can have one or more of them. However, if you can't put a number in front of it it's not countable.

Tarheel

VIP Member
Member Type
Interested in Language
Native Language
American English
Home Country
United States
Current Location
United States
Some people have to be right even when they're wrong. Kilroy, you remind me of Ivan. (Ivan owned grammar books, which he often referred to so he could "correct" people.)

www.dictionary.com

kilroy65

Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
Bulgarian
Home Country
Bulgaria
Current Location
Bulgaria
Please, Tarheel, no hard feelings. It is not my intention to "correct" people. I'm not a native English speaker and I have never lived in an English speaking country. My English is far from perfect. That is why I joined this forum. After all, we are just discussing grammar here.

Last edited:

emsr2d2

Staff member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
British English
Home Country
UK
Current Location
UK
Please, Tarheel, no hard feelings. It is not my intention to "correct" people. I'm not a native English speaker and I have never lived in an English-speaking country. My English is far from perfect. That is why I joined this forum. After all, we are just discussing grammar here.

Your underlined statement above is a little flippant for a forum which is dedicated entirely to the correct use of English. It's not "just" grammar. This is really important to a lot of people.

kilroy65

Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
Bulgarian
Home Country
Bulgaria
Current Location
Bulgaria
I apologize! I meant to say "nothing personal".:oops:

Status
Not open for further replies.