• Member Info
      • Native Language:
      • Russian
      • Home Country:
      • Russian Federation
      • Current Location:
      • Russian Federation

decrease (the) rate of unemployment

Usually, I understand how to use articles correctly but I still make a lot of mistakes. However, I'm absolutely confused with them when I'm writing something difficult, for example, an essay.

Let's take a look at these sentences:

1) Consumerism is sure to decrease (the) rate of unemployment.

My explanation: In the this particular sentence I'm talking about consumerism as a positive thing in the 21 century. So it's like a general idea. As far as I know we do not use articles when we talk about something in general. The sentence neither looks nor sounds good to me without "the" though. My answer: I'd not use the article.

2) Businessmen have a tendency to update their machinery in time and purchase new tools which may have a strong positive impact on (the) production. My answer: I'd not use the article.

My explanation: here's the same thing. On the one hand, it's a general idea. On the other hand, "the" should be written because without it it's not clear which production the aforemention businessmen want to enhance.

3) (The) Quality of goods become higher because it is not possible to compete against a significant number of new firms and companies with poor quality things as customers are not interested to buy them.

My explanation: In this sentence I'd not use an article before the word "quality". Once again, it's a general idea. My answer: I'd not use the article.

I provided these 3 examples because I want finally to get the hang of using articles in sentences like these. I hope you'll clarify this topic to me.
    Please, correct all my mistakes. I should know English perfectly and if you show me my mistakes I will achieve my dream a little bit faster. A lot of thanks.

Not a teacher nor a native speaker.

• Member Info
      • Native Language:
      • English
      • Home Country:
      • United States
      • Current Location:
      • China

Re: decrease (the) rate of unemployment

1. You have (correctly) not used an article before consumerism- it is a general idea. Rate of unemployment is not so general, so an article is needed. 'Consumerism is sure to decrease unemployment' would be a correct sentence.

2. "...update their machinery over time..." You are correct in not using an article.

a) Quality of goods is specific enough to require an article. 'Goods (no article) become higher in quality...' would be correct also.
    b) quality is uncountable; therefore singular and it's third person, so the verb become needs to be plural: ''The quality... becomes..."
    c) "...customers are not interested in buying them"
    d) This whole sentence is awkward and confusing. It requires multiple readings to understand that "them" refers to "things" and not "companies with things".
    I suggest something like, 'Quality increases as a way to compete in a market flooded with low-quality goods'.

• Member Info
      • Native Language:
      • Chinese
      • Home Country:
      • Malaysia
      • Current Location:
      • Malaysia

Improving quality is a way to compete in a market flooded with low-quality goods.
    I am not a teacher.

• Member Info
      • Native Language:
      • British English
      • Home Country:
      • Czech Republic
      • Current Location:
      • Czech Republic

Quote Originally Posted by J&K Tutoring View Post
    b) quality is uncountable; therefore singular and it's third person, so the verb become needs to be plural: ''The quality... becomes..."
    'becomes' is the third person singular form of the verb.
    Last edited by Piscean; 29-Feb-2016 at 08:15. Reason: minor typo

• Member Info
      • Native Language:
      • English
      • Home Country:
      • United States
      • Current Location:
      • China

Gaaa!