Home Country
Poland
Current Location
Poland
Hello everybody!

A few phrases I would like you to help me understand are a follows:

"under the consideration to keep the back wall in position"

The whole sentence reads as follows:

The loosening at the back wall of the housing is to carry out under the consideration to keep the back wall in position for re-using and connection to the exchange structures!

In my opinion, the fragment in heavy type under the consideration to keep the back wall in position means "taking into account keeping the back wall in position" or "not forgetting to/remembering to keep the back wall in position" or "subject to keeping the back wall in position" or "provided that the back wall is kept in position".

I am not sure which version is correct, hence so many variants.

The sentence with the fragment in queston is preceded by anothe sentence, namely, "The side wall PS is totally bended and need to be taken out by flame-cutting".

The sentences are about the repair of a ship that was hit by a so called green sea (a massive sea wave).

What do you think of my conclusions?

Thank you.

Tarheel

VIP Member
Member Type
Interested in Language
Native Language
American English
Home Country
United States
Current Location
United States
It is a wall of a ship that we're talking about? In any case, that sentence is a jumble, and you need to start over. And don't use an exclamation mark. Write a new sentence in place of the one you have.

JACEK1

Key Member
Member Type
Interested in Language
Native Language
Polish
Home Country
Poland
Current Location
Poland
I didn't make up the sentences. I received tchem.

1. The loosening at the back wall of the housing is to carry out under the consideration to keep the back wall in position for re-using and connection to the exchange structures.
2. The side wall PS is totally bended and needs to be taken out by flame-cutting.

My concluions:

In my opinion, the fragment in heavy type under the consideration to keep the back wall in position means "taking into account keeping the back wall in position" or "not forgetting to/remembering to keep the back wall in position" or "subject to keeping the back wall in position" or "provided that the back wall is kept in position".

Taking into account your recommendations, there would be four variants:

A) The loosening at the back wall of the housing is to carry out taking into account keeping the back wall in position for re-using and connection to the exchange structures.

B) The loosening at the back wall of the housing is to carry out not forgetting to/remembering to keep the back wall in position for re-using and connection to the exchange structures.

C) The loosening at the back wall of the housing is to carry out subject to keeping the back wall in position for re-using and connection to the exchange structures.

D) The loosening at the back wall of the housing is to carry out provided that the back wall is kept in position for re-using and connection to the exchange structures.

Roman55

Key Member
Member Type
Interested in Language
Native Language
British English
Home Country
Italy
Current Location
France
'The loosening at the back wall of the housing is to carry out…' is not meaningful, regardless of what follows. The loosening isn't carrying anything out. This means that any interpretation is just guesswork.

I would guess that whatever the first part is supposed to mean, it is to be carried out in such a way as to keep the back wall in position, etc, etc.

Also, 'bended' should be 'bent'.

Tarheel

VIP Member
Member Type
Interested in Language
Native Language
American English
Home Country
United States
Current Location
United States
For the second sentence try:

The side wall PS is bent and needs to be replaced.

(The first sentence gives me a headache.)

tedmc

VIP Member
Member Type
Interested in Language
Native Language
Chinese
Home Country
Malaysia
Current Location
Malaysia
What is the housing for?
A housing is a casing or cover for a machine. I guess it is made of steel sheets screwed/welded/rivetted together. The joints would become loose after some time. You don't call the sheet material "walls". What is "exchange structure"? You should not coin your own terms which others do not understand.

I think it is just a simple job to repair the rear panel of the cover which has become loose and a side panel which is dented.

Status
Not open for further replies.