Sandy will be very/absolutely delighted to see you.

Status
Not open for further replies.

z7655431

Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Chinese
Home Country
Taiwan
Current Location
Taiwan
Sandy will be very/absolutely delighted to see you.

According to the Longman Dictionary, "very" is incorrect here. It should be "absolutely".

Do not say 'very delighted'. Say
absolutely delighted. (See it here: http://www.ldoceonline.com/dictionary/delighted) (Longman)

However, is it really incorrect to say "very delighted"? Thank you!

teechar

Staff member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
English
Home Country
Iraq
Current Location
Iraq
I don't agree with that, I'm afraid.
I don't see a problem with "very delighted."

bhaisahab

Staff member
Member Type
Retired English Teacher
Native Language
British English
Home Country
England
Current Location
Ireland
I find "very delighted" unnatural. If you want to say that a person is more than delighted, use another adjective; "ecstatic" perhaps, (a bit "over the top", though). I think that "delighted" is fine for most situations.

TheParser

VIP Member
Member Type
Other
Native Language
English
Home Country
United States
Current Location
United States

***** NOT A TEACHER *****

Hello, Z7655431:

I think that I know the "problem."

In older books, "delighted" is considered to be only the past tense and past participle of the verb "delight" (A verbal form)

Thus, one should not use "very," for "very" is an adverb that one needs to use in front of an adjective ("very nice") or an adverb ("very quickly").

In modern English, however, many people consider "delighted" to also be an adjective.

Therefore, most Americans, in my opinion, would NOT think twice if you said, "I am very delighted to hear the news about your job promotion."

IF you want to follow an old rule, however, it is considered "excellent" English if you say or write:

"I am very much delighted to hear ...." (The adverb "much" -- according to the old rule -- is needed after "very" and in front of the verbal form "delighted."

I copied this from a letter published in an American newspaper. It was written by a non-American diplomat: "I am very much confused ...."

Credit for this information goes to George Oliver Curme, A Grammar of the English Language (1931), Vol. II, page 150.

emsr2d2

Staff member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
British English
Home Country
UK
Current Location
UK
I would find "very delighted" unnatural on the basis that "delighted" means "very pleased", so I see no reason to effectively repeat "very".

GoesStation

No Longer With Us (RIP)
Member Type
Interested in Language
Native Language
American English
Home Country
United States
Current Location
United States
Note that the Parser's citation is from a book published eighty-five years ago. Its author was trying to discourage a usage which was already common then and is now completely normal. Delighted is a perfectly good adjective.

Roman55

Key Member
Member Type
Interested in Language
Native Language
British English
Home Country
Italy
Current Location
France
I would find "very delighted" unnatural on the basis that "delighted" means "very pleased", so I see no reason to effectively repeat "very".

I find 'very delighted' unnatural because it feels unnatural.

I think the most fitting adverb to use, if you want to stress the state of delightednesss, is 'highly'.

Status
Not open for further replies.