• Member Info
      • Native Language:
      • Chinese
      • Home Country:
      • Hong Kong
      • Current Location:
      • Hong Kong

Red face Had Goldilocks known it.

I have read a fairy tale "Goldilocks and the three bears" and I have questions about these sentences:

1. Had Goldilocks known it, Daddy, Mummy and Baby Bear were gentle, kind bears.

2. When they saw it was only a little girl who had been in their cottage, they were not nearly so angry as they might have been.

I would like to know what the meanings of the underlined sentences are? I haven't known these kinds of writings, so I have questions about them.

In fact, Does the first sentence mean~Goldilocks doesn't know that daddy, mummy and baby bear were gentle, kind bears? I still have not learned that "Had someone known it" placed at the first of a sentence, so I am not sure its meaning.

And for the second sentence, does it mean the bears had never been so angry before (i.e. They were very angry at that moment)? Or does it mean the bears only saw a little girl, so they were not that angry as before?

Although it is only a children story book, there are many kinds of writings I haven't learned before. Anyway, could someone give me an advice for my questions above? Thank you very much!
    Last edited by Rover_KE; 06-Mar-2016 at 00:02.

• Member Info
      • Native Language:
      • American English
      • Home Country:
      • United States
      • Current Location:
      • United States

Re: Had Goldilocks known it.

Had Goldilocks known it is an old-fashioned way to write "if Goldilocks had known it."

The second sentence means that, although it would not be surprising for them to be very angry, they were only a little angry.
    I am not a teacher.

• Member Info
      • Native Language:
      • Chinese
      • Home Country:
      • Hong Kong
      • Current Location:
      • Hong Kong

Thank you very much. I now understand what the sentences mean!
    Last edited by Rover_KE; 06-Mar-2016 at 09:07. Reason: Deleting unnecessary quote.

• Member Info
      • Native Language:
      • British English
      • Home Country:
      • UK
      • Current Location:
      • UK

Chocobo, note that in future there is no need to add a new post to a thread to say "Thank you". Each response has a "Like" button and a "Thank" button in the bottom left-hand corner. Simply click on one/both of those buttons to indicate that the post was helpful. Try it now by clicking on "Thank" on GoesStation's post.
    Remember - if you don't use correct capitalisation, punctuation and spacing, anything you write will be incorrect.