” works to bear“? Bear what? Bear(take the responsibility of) creating, building...?

Status
Not open for further replies.

GoodTaste

Key Member
Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Chinese
Home Country
China
Current Location
China
” works to bear“? Bear what? Bear(take the responsibility of) creating, building...?

Bear(take the responsibility of) creating, building and organizing of the deepest knowledge?

-------------------------------------A Beautiful Question is my attempt to see things whole. Here I've returned to the kinds of ‘naïve’ questions that I had as a teenager: What is reality? What am I? I've brought our deepest knowledge of how the physical world works to bear, naturally. That has been my primary focus for many years. But I've also realized that perception, art and philosophy are central to the discussion, and that the history of ideas has a lot to teach us.For a century, science has invalidated ‘soft’ questions about truth, beauty, and transcendence. It took considerable courage therefore for Frank Wilczek to declare that such questions are within the framework of ‘hard’ science. Anyone who wants to see how science and transcendence can be compatible must read this book.. —Deepak Chopra, M.D.This book helps me see how one of the world’s

bubbha

Member Type
Interested in Language
Native Language
English
Home Country
United States
Current Location
Taiwan
Re: ” works to bear“? Bear what? Bear(take the responsibility of) creating, building.

I'm not a teacher here, but I see that you have parsed the sentence wrong.

You should read it as "I've brought ... to bear".

The phrase "to bring something to bear" means to use something to achieve results.

GoodTaste

Key Member
Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Chinese
Home Country
China
Current Location
China
Re: ” works to bear“? Bear what? Bear(take the responsibility of) creating, building.

Got it.
"Brought it to fruition."

Last edited by a moderator:

Tdol

No Longer With Us (RIP)
Staff member
Native Language
British English
Home Country
UK
Current Location
Japan

It seems a somewhat vapid text to me, so I wouldn't look too closely for meaning.

Status
Not open for further replies.