Interested in Language
Native Language
Korean
Home Country
South Korea
Current Location
South Korea
Hello everyone,

I'm currently having some trouble trying to understand the word 'pace'. I encounter this word quite often, but I can't really make out the exact meaning that the word 'pace' is trying to express in the different examples.

1- On for a change of pace...
2- They set off at a leisurely pace.
3- He quickened his pace, having little reason to prolong the trip.

Could anyone clarify the exact meaning of 'pace' used in these sentences and give me some details? I would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks.

megafunc

Member Type
Interested in Language
Native Language
Korean
Home Country
South Korea
Current Location
South Korea
Still, I don't quite understand.

Could you please be so nice to point out each meaning of the word "pace" used in every sentence I mentioned in details?

GoesStation

No Longer With Us (RIP)
Member Type
Interested in Language
Native Language
American English
Home Country
United States
Current Location
United States
The sentences in question:

Sentences 2 and 3 use "pace" in one of its literal meanings: the speed with which someone moves, particularly when walking.

Sentence 1 uses a metaphorical meaning. A "change of pace" is a shift in subject matter, especially into or away from considering details. For example, a lecture might start with an overall discussion illustrating how the subject fits into a wider area of inquiry; it could then "change pace" by delving into the details.

Charlie Bernstein

VIP Member
Member Type
Other
Native Language
English
Home Country
United States
Current Location
United States
Pace = rate of speed.

- a rapid pace
- a slow pace
- a leisurely pace
- a breakneck pace

The expression "change of pace" is an idiom. It's a switch to something different. For example, if you listened to jazz all day long, you might switch to opera in the evening for a change of pace.

Lazz

Member Type
Retired English Teacher
Native Language
English
Home Country
England
Current Location
Canada
I can't really make out the exact meaning that the word 'pace' is trying to express in the different examples.

Could anyone clarify the exact meaning of 'pace' used in these sentences and give me some details? I would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks.

When walking, each step that we take is "a pace" (and so, in days of yore, also commonly used as a rough measure of distance - e.g. two hundred paces). If we were out for a stroll, I imagine our pace would be liesurely. If we were in a rush and wished to speed our progress, then we would likely quicken our pace. A change of pace, therefore, would prosaically describe a variation in our style of step - fast or slow or even hop skip and jump - and has come to serve ably in other fields of performance other than walking, as Charlie Bernstein says (above), to describe a different direction in whatever that might be. It seems to often have relevance in fields of entertainment and education.

emsr2d2

Staff member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
British English
Home Country
UK
Current Location
UK

Rover_KE

Staff member
Member Type
Retired English Teacher
Native Language
British English
Home Country
England
Current Location
England
megafunc, I have only just become aware of this thread for some reason. I have moved it from Literature to Ask a Teacher, where it more properly belongs.

Status
Not open for further replies.