I don’t support it when any locality or any state is against, No. 1.

Status
Not open for further replies.

GoodTaste

Key Member
Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Chinese
Home Country
China
Current Location
China
Does "I don’t support it when any locality or any state is against, No. 1" mean "I don’t support it when any locality or any state is against it, and this is my No. 1 task"?

---------------------------------------
She would oppose hydraulic fracturing in states that do not want it and apply regulations to reduce methane emissions and protect water, Clinton said, emphasizing past statements.
I don’t support it when any locality or any state is against, No. 1. I don’t support it when the release of methane or contamination of water is present. I don’t support it, No. 3, unless we can require that anybody who fracks can tell us exactly what chemicals they are using,” Clinton said.
Source

SoothingDave

VIP Member
Member Type
Interested in Language
Native Language
American English
Home Country
United States
Current Location
United States
She is listing reasons why she is against fracking. First reason, second reason, third reason.

GoodTaste

Key Member
Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Chinese
Home Country
China
Current Location
China
So she is saying that the first reason is that any locality or any state is against the fracking?

If so, is the reason strong enough?
The word any refers to "to refer to one or some of a thing or number of things." One locality or one state is against the fracking, Clinton would take it as the first reason to oppose it?

Roman55

Key Member
Member Type
Interested in Language
Native Language
British English
Home Country
Italy
Current Location
France
She is listing reasons why she is against fracking. First reason, second reason, third reason.

Well, that's what you'd expect it to mean. However, she seems to go from the first reason to the third. I wonder what the second reason is.

SoothingDave

VIP Member
Member Type
Interested in Language
Native Language
American English
Home Country
United States
Current Location
United States
So she is saying that the first reason is that any locality or any state is against the fracking?

If so, is the reason strong enough?
The word any refers to "to refer to one or some of a thing or number of things." One locality or one state is against the fracking, Clinton would take it as the first reason to oppose it?

Yes, she has discovered the principle of subsidiarity here, conveniently. She's against a higher level of gov't forcing it on a lower level.

SoothingDave

VIP Member
Member Type
Interested in Language
Native Language
American English
Home Country
United States
Current Location
United States
Well, that's what you'd expect it to mean. However, she seems to go from the first reason to the third. I wonder what the second reason is.

She doesn't number the second reason:

1. When a state or locality rejects it
2. When emission of methane or contamination of water is present
3. When the identity of fracking chemicals is not disclosed (Fracking chemicals were generally trade secrets , but Obama required disclosure last year in new regulations.)

Status
Not open for further replies.