Page 1 of 2 1 2 Last
Results 1 to 10 of 11
  1. Junior Member
    Student or Learner
    • Member Info
      • Native Language:
      • Urdu
      • Home Country:
      • Pakistan
      • Current Location:
      • Pakistan

    • Join Date: Oct 2015
    • Posts: 73
    #1

    A name on which you can trust.....

    A name on which you can trust.
    A name you can trust upon.

    Are these both sentences correct, if yes; which one is more natural?

  2. Piscean's Avatar
    VIP Member
    Retired English Teacher
    • Member Info
      • Native Language:
      • British English
      • Home Country:
      • Czech Republic
      • Current Location:
      • Czech Republic

    • Join Date: Jul 2015
    • Posts: 11,793
    #2

    Re: A name on which you can trust.....

    I'd simply say ​A name you can trust.

  3. VIP Member
    Interested in Language
    • Member Info
      • Native Language:
      • American English
      • Home Country:
      • United States
      • Current Location:
      • United States

    • Join Date: Dec 2015
    • Posts: 11,250
    #3

    Re: A name on which you can trust.....

    "To trust" does not require or allow a preposition in that usage; it is transitive. You can trust a name, or you may find a name which you can trust, but you can't trust upon or on a name.
    I am not a teacher.

  4. Editor, UsingEnglish.com
    English Teacher
    • Member Info
      • Native Language:
      • British English
      • Home Country:
      • UK
      • Current Location:
      • Laos

    • Join Date: Nov 2002
    • Posts: 60,190
    #4

    Re: A name on which you can trust.....

    Quote Originally Posted by Piscean View Post
    I'd simply say ​A name you can trust.
    Or A name that/which you can trust.

  5. Junior Member
    Student or Learner
    • Member Info
      • Native Language:
      • Urdu
      • Home Country:
      • Pakistan
      • Current Location:
      • Pakistan

    • Join Date: Oct 2015
    • Posts: 73
    #5

    Re: A name on which you can trust.....

    Quote Originally Posted by GoesStation View Post
    "To trust" does not require or allow a preposition in that usage; it is transitive. You can trust a name, or you may find a name which you can trust, but you can't trust upon or on a name.
    Then, why do we say "trust in God".?

  6. emsr2d2's Avatar
    Moderator
    English Teacher
    • Member Info
      • Native Language:
      • British English
      • Home Country:
      • UK
      • Current Location:
      • UK

    • Join Date: Jul 2009
    • Posts: 44,275
    #6

    Re: A name on which you can trust.....

    GoesStation said you can't trust upon or on a name. The example you gave used ​in.

    Trust in God = Trust God = Put your trust in God.
    Remember - if you don't use correct capitalisation, punctuation and spacing, anything you write will be incorrect.

  7. Junior Member
    Student or Learner
    • Member Info
      • Native Language:
      • Urdu
      • Home Country:
      • Pakistan
      • Current Location:
      • Pakistan

    • Join Date: Oct 2015
    • Posts: 73
    #7

    Re: A name on which you can trust.....

    Quote Originally Posted by emsr2d2 View Post
    GoesStation said you can't trust upon or on a name. The example you gave used ​in.

    Trust in God = Trust God = Put your trust in God.
    A short context from GoesStation's post, quoting "To trust" does not require or allow a preposition in that usage; it is transitive".

    With all due respect, "in" is preposition in the context "trust in God".


  8. VIP Member
    Interested in Language
    • Member Info
      • Native Language:
      • American English
      • Home Country:
      • United States
      • Current Location:
      • United States

    • Join Date: Dec 2015
    • Posts: 11,250
    #8

    Re: A name on which you can trust.....

    Quote Originally Posted by Babarbutt View Post
    A short context from GoesStation's post, quoting "To trust" does not require or allow a preposition in that usage; it is transitive".

    With all due respect, "in" is preposition in the context "trust in God".

    I didn't word that very well. To trust is transitive in the usage I was discussing.
    I am not a teacher.

  9. Junior Member
    Student or Learner
    • Member Info
      • Native Language:
      • Urdu
      • Home Country:
      • Pakistan
      • Current Location:
      • Pakistan

    • Join Date: Oct 2015
    • Posts: 73
    #9

    Re: A name on which you can trust.....

    Quote Originally Posted by GoesStation View Post
    I didn't word that very well. To trust is transitive in the usage I was discussing.
    I absolutely got what you meant in "post#3".

    I wanted to point out one thing which you wrote in your post#3, that; "trust" didn't require a preposition. So, why do we use "in" in "trust in God".?
    If, "trust God" means the same as "trust in God", then why do we use preposition "in"?

  10. VIP Member
    Interested in Language
    • Member Info
      • Native Language:
      • American English
      • Home Country:
      • United States
      • Current Location:
      • United States

    • Join Date: Dec 2015
    • Posts: 11,250
    #10

    Re: A name on which you can trust.....

    Quote Originally Posted by Babarbutt View Post
    I absolutely got what you meant in "post#3".

    I wanted to point out one thing which you wrote in your post#3, that; "trust" didn't require a preposition. So, why do we use "in" in "trust in God".?
    If, "trust God" means the same as "trust in God", then why do we use preposition "in"?
    That's an interesting question. I don't think the preposition alters the meaning significantly. It makes the statement more formal and somewhat old-fashioned.
    I am not a teacher.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 Last

Similar Threads

  1. [Grammar] trust on or trust in?
    By tiasanggraheni in forum Ask a Teacher
    Replies: 1
    Last Post: 17-Dec-2015, 09:10
  2. [Vocabulary] believe and trust
    By kite in forum Ask a Teacher
    Replies: 3
    Last Post: 15-Nov-2013, 12:32
  3. [Vocabulary] trust
    By Eman.J.T in forum Ask a Teacher
    Replies: 3
    Last Post: 09-Dec-2012, 10:16
  4. [Grammar] Trust?
    By Kelleyy in forum Ask a Teacher
    Replies: 2
    Last Post: 24-Sep-2011, 20:34
  5. trust you /in you
    By ripley in forum Ask a Teacher
    Replies: 1
    Last Post: 28-May-2011, 13:26

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •