Student or Learner
Native Language
Persian
Home Country
Iran
Current Location
Iran
Hello,

I have got a book written by Debra Philips for TOEFL preparation. In a exercise from the Writing section students must proofread some provided texts. I have done one of them but it seems that my corrections are different from the answer keys of the book. I think my corrections are ok too but I'm not sure about it. would you please take a look at my corrections and tell me your opinions regarding them?

The Original Text:

I understand that it seems importantly for a student to prepare early their assignments rather than procrastinate in getting assignments done. However, although I understand this clear, I always seem to wait until the finally minute to get assigning projects done. There are two reasons why I regular procrastinate on my assignments academic in spite of the fact that this is not a best way to get my work done.

My corrections:

I understand that it seems [STRIKE]importantly[/STRIKE] important for a student to prepare[STRIKE] early their[/STRIKE] his assignments early rather than procrastinate in getting assignments done. [STRIKE]However, although I understand this clear[/STRIKE] Although understanding this clearly, I always seem to wait until the [STRIKE]finally minute[/STRIKE] final minutes [STRIKE]to get assigning projects done[/STRIKE] to do the assigned projects. There are two reasons why I [STRIKE]regular[/STRIKE] regularly procrastinate [STRIKE]on[/STRIKE] in my assignments academic in spite of the fact that this is not [STRIKE]a[/STRIKE] the best way [STRIKE]to get my work done[/STRIKE] to do my works.

The Answer Key:

I understand that it seems [STRIKE]importantly[/STRIKE] important for [STRIKE]a[/STRIKE] students to prepare [STRIKE]early their assignments[/STRIKE] their assignments early rather than procrastinate in getting assignments done. However, although I understand this [STRIKE]clear[/STRIKE] clearly, I always seem to wait until the [STRIKE]finally[/STRIKE] final minute to get [STRIKE]assigning[/STRIKE] assigned projects done. There are two reasons why I [STRIKE]regular[/STRIKE] regularly procrastinate on my [STRIKE]assignments academic[/STRIKE] academic assignments in spite of the fact that this is not [STRIKE]a[/STRIKE] the best way to get my work done.
Regards.

Flogger

Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Persian
Home Country
Iran
Current Location
Iran
Nobody wants to help me?

tedmc

VIP Member
Member Type
Interested in Language
Native Language
Chinese
Home Country
Malaysia
Current Location
Malaysia
I have some comments:
1. For a general statement and to avoid gender bias, using "students" and "they" are preferred in the first sentence, though your sentence is not incorrect.
2. The first part of the second sentence is an independent clause which requires the subject "I".
3. It is usually "the last/final minute(singular)" rather the "the final minutes".
4. There is a difference between "to do something"(which you have written) and "to get something done". The latter implies "doing until completion".
5. I think the preposition to go with "procrastinate" could be "on" or "in" but since the former is used, there is no need to correct it.

Tarheel

VIP Member
Member Type
Interested in Language
Native Language
American English
Home Country
United States
Current Location
United States
Rather than "importantly" say "important" there. (First paragraph.)

Tarheel

VIP Member
Member Type
Interested in Language
Native Language
American English
Home Country
United States
Current Location
United States
OK. You did it right. I will pay attention better from now on.

Tarheel

VIP Member
Member Type
Interested in Language
Native Language
American English
Home Country
United States
Current Location
United States
I would have done it exactly the way it has it in the answer key.

Tarheel

VIP Member
Member Type
Interested in Language
Native Language
American English
Home Country
United States
Current Location
United States
One thing. Say:

I have a book.

There are two words I would never use:

importantly, opt

(OK, two things.)

Tarheel

VIP Member
Member Type
Interested in Language
Native Language
American English
Home Country
United States
Current Location
United States
Any questions?

Flogger

Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Persian
Home Country
Iran
Current Location
Iran
Any questions?

Well, I couldn't understand what you meant in post #7. 'I have a book' What do you mean? are my corrections fine too?

Tarheel

VIP Member
Member Type
Interested in Language
Native Language
American English
Home Country
United States
Current Location
United States
You said:

I have got a book.

Leave out the "got" there.

Tarheel

VIP Member
Member Type
Interested in Language
Native Language
American English
Home Country
United States
Current Location
United States
Well, I said I would make the same corrections as the answer key, but I have changed my mind. For the last part say:

even though it is not the best way for me to get my work done

That way we eliminate "the fact that" from the text. Yay!

Status
Not open for further replies.