[Vocabulary] What is 'bench-science' and 'bench-to-bedside science'?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Dapeng Zhang

Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Chinese
Home Country
China
Current Location
United States
below is where it comes from:

(http://thegradstudentway.com/blog/?p=1805 Is a PhD really worth it? Or a Waste of time? December 1, 2014 by michelle frank)

Yes, my PhD was completely worth it, although for surprising reasons. Following my decision to pursue a career in the industry, I was unsure of what to expect since I had previously been pursuing an academic track. The decision was largely due to frustration with:
(1) the grant landscape
(2) the lengthy amount of time to impact patient’s lives pursuing academic research (I was interested in bench-to-bedside science).
The benefit of having a PhD was realized as early as my interview. I had pursued a clinical research position and discovered that while PhD’s in the bench-science arena are very common, if not required, in clinical research, it is not necessarily expected. My PhD, along with some experience in clinical research, and the ability to communicate effectively, landed me the job.

Last edited by a moderator:

GoesStation

No Longer With Us (RIP)
Member Type
Interested in Language
Native Language
American English
Home Country
United States
Current Location
United States
I can't read the text, sorry. Try reducing the font size and removing the italics.

Rover_KE

Staff member
Member Type
Retired English Teacher
Native Language
British English
Home Country
England
Current Location
England
I enlarged the font size as it was too small and faint, Goes Station.

If you click Reply with Quote you should be able to reduce the font size and remove the italics to suit your purposes.

Barb_D

Staff member
Member Type
Other
Native Language
American English
Home Country
United States
Current Location
United States
You work on something in the lab (sitting at the bench in the laboratory) and it makes its way to the patient who needs it.

GoesStation

No Longer With Us (RIP)
Member Type
Interested in Language
Native Language
American English
Home Country
United States
Current Location
United States
below is where it comes from:

(http://thegradstudentway.com/blog/?p=1805 Is a PhD really worth it? Or a Waste of time? December 1, 2014 by michelle frank)

Yes, my PhD was completely worth it, although for surprising reasons. Following my decision to pursue a career in the industry, I was unsure of what to expect since I had previously been pursuing an academic track. The decision was largely due to frustration with:
(1) the grant landscape
(2) the lengthy amount of time to impact patient’s lives pursuing academic research (I was interested in bench-to-bedside science).
The benefit of having a PhD was realized as early as my interview. I had pursued a clinical research position and discovered that while PhD’s in the bench-science arena are very common, if not required, in clinical research, it is not necessarily expected. My PhD, along with some experience in clinical research, and the ability to communicate effectively, landed me the job.

I haven't seen the two terms before, but I assume that "bench-science" means science practiced in laboratories. (Labs often contain workbenches where scientists place their equipment.) Bench-to-bedside science would then be science that originates in labs but is then applied at the [hospital] bedside.

Note: thanks for the tip, Rover_KE. The quoted text is rendered with appropriate line-space.

SoothingDave

VIP Member
Member Type
Interested in Language
Native Language
American English
Home Country
United States
Current Location
United States
Working in a lab, sitting on a bench.

Versus doing some work in a lab and then being able to immediately apply it to actual patients ("bedside.")

GoesStation

No Longer With Us (RIP)
Member Type
Interested in Language
Native Language
American English
Home Country
United States
Current Location
United States
I'm pretty sure "bench" in this context isn't the thing you sit on, but rather the long, counter-height tables where you keep your lab equipment.

SoothingDave

VIP Member
Member Type
Interested in Language
Native Language
American English
Home Country
United States
Current Location
United States
I'm pretty sure "bench" in this context isn't the thing you sit on, but rather the long, counter-height tables where you keep your lab equipment.

Point taken.

Status
Not open for further replies.