• Member Info
      • Native Language:
      • Dutch
      • Home Country:
      • Turkey
      • Current Location:
      • Netherlands

Simple question (machine changes or exchanges)

Hi teachers,

I have a short and simple question. When you have a machine like a vending machine that pays you money back, do you say "machine changes (money)" or "machine exchanges (money)".

Thanks in advance!
    Last edited by Rover_KE; 17-Mar-2016 at 13:03. Reason: Fixing typo.

• Member Info
      • Native Language:
      • English
      • Home Country:
      • England
      • Current Location:
      • England

Re: Simple question (machine changes or exchanges)

Welcome to the forum, FlatLand.

Please check the information in your profile.

We say 'The machine gives change'.

A sign on the machine itself will say 'Change given'.

Much more frequently you'll see 'No change given'.

• Member Info
      • Native Language:
      • Dutch
      • Home Country:
      • Turkey
      • Current Location:
      • Netherlands

Hi Rover_KE,

Thanks for your response!

Unfortunately I can't view my profile. I keep seeing this:

FlatLand, you do not have permission to access this page. This could be due to one of several reasons:

1. Your user account may not have sufficient privileges to access this page. Are you trying to edit someone else's post, access administrative features or some other privileged system?
    2. If you are trying to post, the administrator may have disabled your account, or it may be awaiting activation.

I did activate my profile. So I don't know why it keeps showing this. Maybe the administrator hasn't activated my account yet.

How about "Machine refunds". I'm trying to translate something from Dutch. I'm designing something for a school project and in Dutch right next to the ticket machine you have a sign that says "automaat wisselt". "Automaat" basically means "(ticket) machine", and if you translate "wisselt" literally, you get "changes". I'm basically trying to say that the ticket machine pays back money if you pay too much.

I know it is a bit unusual compared to "change given", but I would like to know if "machine refunds" is also correct or would it cause confusion? Or maybe be grammatically incorrect?
    Last edited by emsr2d2; 17-Mar-2016 at 21:42. Reason: Removed formatting to make post readable

• Member Info
      • Native Language:
      • American English
      • Home Country:
      • United States
      • Current Location:
      • United States

You'll be able to edit your profile after you make a few more posts. I have a feeling it's already correct though; it says your home country is Turkey but you live in the Netherlands and speak Dutch as your native language. From that, I'd guess your family emigrated from Turkey to the Netherlands when you were a young child.

Provided the sign is posted right next to the machine, "Change given" will work fine.
    I am not a teacher.

• Member Info
      • Native Language:
      • Dutch
      • Home Country:
      • Turkey
      • Current Location:
      • Netherlands

Quote Originally Posted by GoesStation View Post
    You'll be able to edit your profile after you make a few more posts. I have a feeling it's already correct though; it says your home country is Turkey but you live in the Netherlands and speak Dutch as your native language. From that, I'd guess your family emigrated from Turkey to the Netherlands when you were a young child.

Provided the sign is posted right next to the machine, "Change given" will work fine.
    Yes, that's correct. My parents emigrated from Turkey. But I grew up in the Netherlands. I speak Dutch more often than Turkish.

Thanks for the reply!